BruceGibson

PANCAKE HOLSTER FOR A BRICK

Did I say brick? I meant, "Glock 30."

This is a plain ol' pancake holster I did this evening for a Glock 30. It's natural Hermann Oak, just moulded/boned (I didn't use the press on this one) with brown stitching. It's not even close to finished--it's still drying from the moulding, so the final color isn't what you see. The Glock 30 is a real challenge for me. It's a chunky little cannon, and I have a heck of a time trying to come up with designs that compliment the little sucker. I don't know that this one does, but thought I'd put it up anyway.

3105936833_ba92876e1f.jpg

Shoot a clear coat on it and let it tan for a day. It's got very clean lines, and is gorgeous leather. No need to change it at all.

Hey Bruce, what tool(s) are you using for the boning? You did a very nice job of it.

Did I say brick? I meant, "Glock 30."

This is a plain ol' pancake holster I did this evening for a Glock 30. It's natural Hermann Oak, just moulded/boned (I didn't use the press on this one) with brown stitching. It's not even close to finished--it's still drying from the moulding, so the final color isn't what you see. The Glock 30 is a real challenge for me. It's a chunky little cannon, and I have a heck of a time trying to come up with designs that compliment the little sucker. I don't know that this one does, but thought I'd put it up anyway.

3105936833_ba92876e1f.jpg

Bruce,

Nice job on this one! I carry one of these daily and it is heavy but very compact for a .45 I have not done a new holster for my own yet but I need to get on it, yours is really good. One problem with this model is the trigger guard is so far down and is very wide, laying out the stitch line and trying to get a "flow" to the holster lines does make this one a challenge. Yours is one of the best I have seen. The detail work you have done is top notch! I vote for leaving the color as is! (no more black holsters :17: )

Take care,

Rick Jorgenson

I agree No Black, I love the color you got going on there!! That is one nice looking holster, great job!

Beautiful leather - I also vote to leave natural.

Do you have a photo of this holster being worn?

Wonderful work!

Hey Bruce, what tool(s) are you using for the boning? You did a very nice job of it.

Thanks everybody.

You might laugh, and I won't blame you--I use everything from a ruler to a burnisher to a Sharpie marker and a butter knife. Also, the butt-end of a couple of my edge bevelers. Seriously.

The burnisher is Betula wood from Jeremiah Watt. The Sharpie was an accident--a couple years ago I thought, "what the heck" and it worked. The butter knife was something I read on a forum someplace. A guy named Mark Garrity said that was a tool he used, so after rooting around and trying several (don't tell my wife) I found an old one that worked. If I don't use the press to put the squeeze on it, then I use my thumbs, a lot. If I use the press, the detailing's easier (you can see your lines).

I'm no holster expert by any stretch, but I do like to try different things to see what outcome I get. I don't post the disasters--and there have been more than a few!

Absolutly beautiful Bruce !!

That's nice Bruce. Glocks are way more about function than form. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, but they are not show pieces. It looks good though. I got bored and did yet anothe holster for my 23 my everyday carry yesterday.

Good looking rig Bruce.

I sold 3 "Block" 30 holsters at the gun show over the weekend. They are a good seller and much better than G17 or 19 because every where has those.

Sweet holster Bruce!

:Holysheep:

Like the natural look my self

Beautiful workmanship! Holsters for Glocks make up probably 1/3 of my workload and, personally, I have never figured out just why anyone would want to carry one of them around! Glocks have all the aesthetic appeal of a brick, and provide all the comfort to be expected when one carries a brick around. Oh well, guess I'll just keep taking the customers' money and giving them what they order.

That's lookin real good Bruce! Should be quite excellent when it's done.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Bruce

Truly outstanding work. I need to take a trip to Florida so you can show me how to bone holsters. our lasest holsters are truly works of art. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Randy

Just received an order for a pancake style to fit a Glock 36 .45 auto. Yep, it's a Block all right.

I would argue that a plastic Gun doesn't deserve a custom made leather holster--or any kind of leather for that matter. A nylon or plastic holster is good enough for it.

What have we come to? Keyholes in Smith and Wessons; Firing Pin Locks in Colt "1911's" {1911's no longer...} Corn Syrup in our Cokes; and plastic bottles around them...

It is just a sad old world; and getting sadder...

Oh yeah, plastic and rubber grips; synthetic rifle stocks...

.....RVM45 :eusa_naughty:

Wait... that's the actual gun? I thought it was a dummy, or "blue" gun for holster making. Shows how much I know about guns.

I've been getting tempted to try a holster like you guys are making, though... for my son's Airsoft pistols. ;-)

That is absolutely NOT the real gun - it is indeed a dummy gun (a blue gun).

ah. ok. with the way RVM45 was ranting, I second guessed myself.

Or... maybe he was being facetious?

Darn you! You got me! ;-)

Glocks have polymer frames. You can't Nickle the frame; nor can you put custom grips on it. It is a mass issue weapon for people who have not been taught to view their sidearm as a more perfect embodiment of the self...

i.e.--To them ; a Gun is just a gun...

This is a Soldier's; rather than a Warrior's Philosophy.

As Bruce said; it is a brick.

I always thought there should be a catch-all term for pistol-like objects that would be personal weapons--if only they'd been BRIGHT Nickeled (or bright chromed; blued; Golded; brass plated--anything SHINY--I'm fairly broadminded...)

.....RVM45 :red_bandana:

I'm not a gun owner, and don't have a strong desire to be one, but I'll tell you what... if I DID go out and get one for some reason, I'd get the gun that best fit me, from the feel of it in my hand, to the look of it in a holster and while holding it, etc. I would not spend the money on something like that and NOT treat it like and extension of me. I remember seeing quite the display of handguns at a local sporting good store, Sportsmans Warehouse, I think. They had more guns than I imagined existed. It was like looking at a shoe store with so many styles. Not only could you get the style you liked best, but you could get them for different outfits, in case you were going to a dress ball, or a honky-tonk! ;-)

Beautiful work Bruce and another vote for keeping it natural.Most of my Glock holsters are black as well.And not to hijack this thread anymore than it already has been but, I personally love revolvers and carry a Glock 19. So does my wife.Glocks aren't made to be pretty just very functional and rock solid reliability.It also helps carrying 15 shots versus 6.Ok enough of that, back to Bruce, keep up the great work bud.Dave

Great job on the holster. I like the color as is, another vote nor "not black." I'd be happy carrying my brick in that anyday.

On the brick and rant on Glocks, my dad has a saying...

There is an ass for every seat and a seat for every ass. Basically something out there for whoever wants it.

Being a certified gun nut, I carried a Glock on duty for 7 years. Upon making detective I bought a Kimber. Loved it. Still have it.

I also have 4 Glocks. I have since left the Police Dept, but my EDC is a Glock 27. Why? Because it works, works well without fail.

Is it purty? Nope. Does it need a bunch of fluff to make it a real gun? Nope it'll kill a bad guy dead just as the Kimber will.

"It is a mass issue weapon for people who have not been taught to view their sidearm as a more perfect embodiment of the self..."

I guess I view my choice of sidearm as a practical self defense tool, more than I would a embodiment of the self. I doubt the bad guy would hold me in any higher regard starring down the barrel of a nickle plated, custom gripped show piece than my lead mosquito throwing brick.

Just sayin...

Allen

"It is a mass issue weapon for people who have not been taught to view their sidearm as a more perfect embodiment of the self..."

I guess I view my choice of sidearm as a practical self defense tool, more than I would a embodiment of the self. I doubt the bad guy would hold me in any higher regard starring down the barrel of a nickle plated, custom gripped show piece than my lead mosquito throwing brick.

Just sayin...

Allen

Allen,

I would agree. I have known a lot of warriors in my day. The vast majority of them are not concerned about how their sidearm looks, but rather how it functions. The understand that the sidearm is just a tool and that the real weapon is they themselves.

Bruce,

The holster is perfect as it is. I would be honored to carry one like it. Good work.

While I have never made a holster, I have learned so much from those of you who have. Thanks!