UKRay

The ultimate tool rack

I have been struggling for some time to contain my constantly growing collection of embossing tools and pointy bench stuff and wondered if anyone had any good ideas about the best kind of rack to build.

I looked at pictures of Peter Main's bench and realised that I was never going to need something as big as that although the overall style and ease of use is exactly what I had in mind. At the other end of the spectrum, I have seen and used the block of wood with holes in it type supplied by TLF and even built a bigger, version of my own; but now I need to make the ultimate tool rack.

What should I be doing? Have you got a tool rack that really works well - if so can you please tell me about it, why it is good and what you might have done differently? Pictures would be really helpful and worth a hundred words of description.

Does anyone already build an elegant, functional tool rack? If so tell me; better still show me a picture and I'll gladly send money!

Good Morning Ray

Here is a tool rack I made a little while back. It's made of Mahogany, & has enough room for a little over 100 tools. Well,,, it's been about 3 months since I made it,,, & it's getting too small. But as far as design, the only thing I'd change is the spacing of the tools, just a little too close for my big fingers. What do you think?? Ed

I have been struggling for some time to contain my constantly growing collection of embossing tools and pointy bench stuff and wondered if anyone had any good ideas about the best kind of rack to build.

I looked at pictures of Peter Main's bench and realised that I was never going to need something as big as that although the overall style and ease of use is exactly what I had in mind. At the other end of the spectrum, I have seen and used the block of wood with holes in it type supplied by TLF and even built a bigger, version of my own; but now I need to make the ultimate tool rack.

What should I be doing? Have you got a tool rack that really works well - if so can you please tell me about it, why it is good and what you might have done differently? Pictures would be really helpful and worth a hundred words of description.

Does anyone already build an elegant, functional tool rack? If so tell me; better still show me a picture and I'll gladly send money!

tool_rack_12.jpg

tool_rack_22.jpg

tool_rack_32.jpg

post-7175-1240838709_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1240838719_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1240838731_thumb.jpg

Good Morning Ray

Here is a tool rack I made a little while back. It's made of Mahogany, & has enough room for a little over 100 tools. Well,,, it's been about 3 months since I made it,,, & it's getting too small. But as far as design, the only thing I'd change is the spacing of the tools, just a little too close for my big fingers. What do you think?? Ed

It was your tool rack that started all this, Ed!

It is a lovely job but just a tad too small for me. I'd like one with around 300 holes plus a back board where I can attach other bits and pieces. I have a size constraint of 3ft wide (to fit on my stone) so it might have to be a two tier job! LOL

UK Ray - Here is my tool storage - One of my husband's co-workers does woodworking on the side. He had this made for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I can slide this to the side of my work area, and the tools are within easy reach. There are over 400 holes of various sizes and I can see the ends of all the tools. There are drawers to hold punches, exacto knives etc. It has racks to put edgers on the inside of the doors that hold 8 tools on each side (more can be added if needed), and there are hooks for head knives, scissors etc. The doors lock with a hasp and padlock on top so the sharp tools can be secured. I have small neices and nephews who come over a lot, and when not in use, I can lock it up and slide it out of the way as this room doubles as second pathway between the Living room and the Kitchen. Total measurements on this are 24 X 24 X 8 on the tool storage box. The legs hold the box 24" off the floor. The only thing I would change on it would be to turn the legs into and enclosed shelving area for How To DVD storage or something. - Thanks Deb

Inside.jpg

Front.jpg

post-5832-1240842848_thumb.jpg

post-5832-1240842855_thumb.jpg

Deb...Looks awesome. I love that design, but for me it would be wall mounted.

UK.... I have been thinking of what I want. My space is small and I have decided to get a bowl blank for woodturning. Drill my holes in the top and mount it on a lazy susan. I haven't decided on the diameter yet.

Ray,

This is the tool rack I'm currently using. I mounted it on the wall of my bench to allow long leather pieces to extend under the rack and off the back of the bench and to prevent knocking tools off when rotating the leather being worked on. I have seriously outgrown this rack and need to build a new one. It will be narrower and taller and will accomodate more tool storage, including my mauls.

Bob

IMG_1993_1_1_.jpg

post-7682-1240884953_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

Deb, I love the workmanship of your tool cabinet and will strive to find something that finely made for myself - but at least five times bigger. The integral drawers would be very helpful to hold tiny stuff. I currently have three small chests of drawers - one on each bench plus a set of very nasty plastic drawers in a metal frame that drives me insane every time I want to get something out of it. The drawers stick and being plastic break quite easily too. Give me wood every time.

We seem to be thinking along the same lines, Bob. I need to get the tools off the bench as much as possible. I wondered about making something akin to a set of shelves with 'hole blocks' instead of planks and then finish off with something like your top shelf for edge shaves and 'small handle stuff'. I particularly like your round knife sheaths. A great way to protect the knife - and the leatherworker!

I would also like to find a way of racking hole punches so you can see what size they are. The 'hole in wood' method is fine but I find the 'chads' (the bits of leather from inside the punch) swiftly fill up the hole and I'm for ever hoovering them out. I have used the strap method you use on your rack for some tools and I do like the way you have fitted those strap end punches in there. Perhaps that is the way forward?

Getting mauls off the bench sounds like an excellent idea as no matter where you put them they get in the way, fall over or roll off the bench. I like the idea of a dedicated maul stand like yours, but IMHO it needs to be mounted up off the stone in some way. I have managed to find a couple of ancient cast iron nail cups - like two lazy susans - that I use for rivets and snaps and although they are extremely useful they take up valuable bench space too!

Very useful picture, Bob. Thanks.

Ray,

This is the tool rack I'm currently using. I mounted it on the wall of my bench to allow long leather pieces to extend under the rack and off the back of the bench and to prevent knocking tools off when rotating the leather being worked on. I have seriously outgrown this rack and need to build a new one. It will be narrower and taller and will accomodate more tool storage, including my mauls.

Bob

We seem to be thinking along the same lines, Bob. I need to get the tools off the bench as much as possible. I wondered about making something akin to a set of shelves with 'hole blocks' instead of planks and then finish off with something like your top shelf for edge shaves and 'small handle stuff'. I particularly like your round knife sheaths. A great way to protect the knife - and the leatherworker!

I would also like to find a way of racking hole punches so you can see what size they are. The 'hole in wood' method is fine but I find the 'chads' (the bits of leather from inside the punch) swiftly fill up the hole and I'm for ever hoovering them out. I have used the strap method you use on your rack for some tools and I do like the way you have fitted those strap end punches in there. Perhaps that is the way forward?

Getting mauls off the bench sounds like an excellent idea as no matter where you put them they get in the way, fall over or roll off the bench. I like the idea of a dedicated maul stand like yours, but IMHO it needs to be mounted up off the stone in some way. I have managed to find a couple of ancient cast iron nail cups - like two lazy susans - that I use for rivets and snaps and although they are extremely useful they take up valuable bench space too!

Very useful picture, Bob. Thanks.

We are thinking along the same lines, Ray. You can't see it in my photo....I had made some loops for my my mauls but they were inconvenient and my current set of mauls don't fit. On my new bench, the mauls will sit on th backboard to the right of the tool rack...I would like to have 5-6 slots there...maybe two short rows stacked. They would basically be the same as the stand, only mounted to the back board.

The end punches will also go into a block mounted on the backboard. Each in separate holes that will allow them to nest together vertically while facing out toward me at about 45 degress. Nesting them together saves a lot of space. They will go on the left side of the tool rack. One row for round punches, one row for English puches, mounted side by side.

The small wood handled tools will be mounted on individual "louver" type shelves, angled out toward me and located directly above the tool rack. This should allow me to add several rows. I originally wanted to mount them in holes bored in the edge of the "louvers", however, I wouldn't be able to see the tools. That might not be too bad...you would eventually remember what was where. The bigger problem is that there is such a variety of handles and tool shapes, that boring holes will probably be too restictive. A leather strap mounted to the under side of the "louver" solves both problems and could be changed when required. The head knives would be mounted in the same manner on their own shelf or "louver". Just thinking out loud, now, end panels could constructed to hold the louvers where they could slide in and out for modifications and re-positioning. By constructing these "louvers", a tremndous number of tools can be mounted, all with the handles angled out toward you.

I had the same problem with the snaps/rivets/nails, etc. I mounted a row of tip-out bins and they were real handy, however, I needed way more than I had space for....so, I removed those and went to individual clear plastic organizers which sit on a shelf above all the tools on the backboard. Two for rivets, one for snaps, one for Chicago screws, one for tacks/nails, etc., etc. Now I just bring the appropriate box down as I need it...the rivet box has the setting tools in it. This has worked out very well except that the tray is now down on the bench....the good part is that you can close the lid, preventing spills.

:whatdoyouthink:

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

Well here is my tool rack. I made it back in high school. I plan to make a new one sometime soon. It is made with 1 1/4" pvc pipe and a piece of mahogany wood. I used a dill press and drilled a hole the same size as the OD on the pipe 1/2 way then drilled a hole the same as the ID of the pipe the other 1/2, on the front piece of wood. I then drilled a hole 1/2 way though the back piece of wood the same size as the OD on the pipe. I set the pipe at a slight angle to help hold the tools in better. Then in cased the two pieces of wood together to make it like a cabinet. I like the way it holds the tools were you can see all the tools at one time. Works good for me. Just another type of tool rack. I really like what Bob is talking about with the other tools on a bench. Really like the 45 deg. angle thing sound like it will really save space.

Mark

fort_Boys_023.JPG

post-9505-1241062978_thumb.jpg

Nothing fancy here...

Just went out Sunday, and chainsawed down a broken oak in the yard. Shaped it with the chainsaw, and hand planed it smooth. Three different sized drill bits made the holes. Voyla!..semi instant tool rack.

HPIM1957__Large_.JPG

HPIM1958__Large_.JPG

HPIM1959__Large_.JPG

HPIM1960__Large_.JPG

HPIM1961__Large_.JPG

post-5140-1241096185_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1241096200_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1241096213_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1241096225_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1241096235_thumb.jpg

ok guys and gal heres my tool rack gonna be doinga nothing one soon but this one does the trick right now

0421091606.jpg

0421091606a.jpg

post-9589-1241103833_thumb.jpg

post-9589-1241103885_thumb.jpg

Nothing fancy here...

Just went out Sunday, and chainsawed down a broken oak in the yard. Shaped it with the chainsaw, and hand planed it smooth. Three different sized drill bits made the holes. Voyla!..semi instant tool rack.

I really like your rack. Best of all of this rack is the incredible oak characteristics. Nice job...

I really like your rack. Best of all of this rack is the incredible oak characteristics. Nice job...

Nobody ever thought I had a nice rack before...rofl! But thanx anyways. Me and my chainsaw have made quite a few necessities. It only took about 10 minutes of hand planing to get it to where you see it. Not sure how long the green wood will last without cracking, but we'll see.

Just to keep this thread on track, I know UKRay is looking for a more finely finished and practical piece. Some of the ones above are incredible. Sure hope I see more examples. In my messy world, it sure would be nice to see work stuff crafted as nicely as furniture like some of these....but once a slob...lol

Edited by rdb

This is one of my favourite reference threads and I think it is about time it had some new pictures! I'm now on tool rack number... who knows or cares but I still haven't got it right. Has anyone got any new ideas?

Ray

Hi Everybody,

Looking back at my earlier post here, I see how fast I've changed my tool rack. I made a new tool rack, a few months ago. This new one was such a pain to make, I hope it's big enough to last me a while. At present, it holds about 225 tools,more than what it shows in the picture, & soon to hold about 10 more comming from Bob Beard. It's actually a pretty nice design, & works out very nice,,, but I'm not going to be making another. It's about 18" x 11".

Thanks for looking. Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-099444100 1298225675_thumb.jpg

...I'm not going to be making another. I

Thanks for looking. Ed the"BearMan"

I'm watching you now, Ed, 'cos i bet you do make another one - or even several more! LOL

So tell us how you made this thing. Is that leather sandwiched between MDF or plywood or something similar?

What do you do with your mauls? How do you stop them rolling off the bench?

What about edge shaves and all the 'handled' tools? What do you do with those?

Ray