bigo5552000

Ummm? Please Help Me Figure Out What This Thing Is!

Can you guys and gals please help me with this machine. It was given to me and the former owner sewed leather with it, but I don't know what thickness leather I can stitch and he is now passed away and I am unsure about some things. I tested it going through ~1/4" of leather and it went through fine, but the stitches are very very close. Can you space them out? Any info you can give me would really really help!! Thanks a million in advance!!

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

That looks like a 96K40 tailors' machine. I had one from 1986 until 2005. It is useful for sewing leather vests after you replace the pressor foot, throat plate and feed dog with a roller foot conversion. It uses system 1728? needles, available up to size 21 and is able to sew with up to #92 thread. The pressor foot lift determines the sewing capacity, which is usually 1/4". You might be able to trick up the foot a tad more, to allow you to sew 5/16", but that is pushing the machine beyond its design limits.

Do not consider the 96K to be a leather sewing machine, just because somebody has sewn leather on one. This was actually my first industrial machine purchase. After going through a half dozen other machines and several thousand wasted dollars, I finally bought a true heavy duty compound feed walking foot machine, then a Union Lockstitch machine and have never looked back since.

Point of interest: My Father was a Tailor and had a 96K40 in his shop. I learned to sew on it. He used it to hem pants, coats and other garments, for customers needing alterations.

Edited by Wizcrafts

That looks like a 96K40 tailors' machine. I had one from 1986 until 2005. It is useful for sewing leather vests after you replace the pressor foot, throat plate and feed dog with a roller foot conversion. It uses system 1728? needles, available up to size 21 and is able to sew with up to #92 thread. The pressor foot lift determines the sewing capacity, which is usually 1/4". You might be able to trick up the foot a tad more, to allow you to sew 5/16", but that is pushing the machine beyond its design limits.

Do not consider the 96K to be a leather sewing machine, just because somebody has sewn leather on one. This was actually my first industrial machine purchase. After going through a half dozen other machines and several thousand wasted dollars, I finally bought a true heavy duty compound feed walking foot machine, then a Union Lockstitch machine and have never looked back since.

Point of interest: My Father was a Tailor and had a 96K40 in his shop. I learned to sew on it. He used it to hem pants, coats and other garments, for customers needing alterations.

uumm?? I have zero experience in sewing machines can you explain what you said in simpler terms? maybe some links to the conversion stuff and needles and thread and things? thanks a ton!! i am a complete novice when it comes to this!

The oblong plate (above the gold oval) should tell you the model, and the stitch length is adjusted with the know just above it (up and down in the vertical slot). Does this help?

Edited by JLSleather

uumm?? I have zero experience in sewing machines can you explain what you said in simpler terms? maybe some links to the conversion stuff and needles and thread and things? thanks a ton!! i am a complete novice when it comes to this!

Are you looking for a tailoring machine, or a leather sewing machine? The 96K40 is a tailoring machine. You can buy the roller foot conversion package from Atlas Levy, on eBay. It comprises of three parts and a screw. There is a video down the page showing you how to change the three items to convert a straight stitch machine into a roller foot machine. The video shows the foot in action, sewing up to 4 layers of garment leather, which is the limit it can handle.

If you are wanting to sew harder or thicker leather, this is not the machine for you.

Also, the 96K40 is manually oiled. Find all of the oil holes and keep the machine oiled frequently. Use sewing machine oil, not 3 in 1 oil! Wipe the dripping oil from the oil pan occasionally, to prevent it from overflowing onto your legs.

BTW: The pressor foot on the machine in the photos is a left toe zipper foot. It is specifically made to sew close to the teeth of zippers.

Are you looking for a tailoring machine, or a leather sewing machine? The 96K40 is a tailoring machine. You can buy the roller foot conversion package from Atlas Levy, on eBay. It comprises of three parts and a screw. There is a video down the page showing you how to change the three items to convert a straight stitch machine into a roller foot machine. The video shows the foot in action, sewing up to 4 layers of garment leather, which is the limit it can handle.

If you are wanting to sew harder or thicker leather, this is not the machine for you.

Also, the 96K40 is manually oiled. Find all of the oil holes and keep the machine oiled frequently. Use sewing machine oil, not 3 in 1 oil! Wipe the dripping oil from the oil pan occasionally, to prevent it from overflowing onto your legs.

I would like a sewing machine to sew holsters. I am taking this will not do that?

I would like a sewing machine to sew holsters. I am taking this will not do that?

Not a chance in Hades. Been there, failed to do that!

You should redirect your search for a true leather stitcher, such as those sold by several dealers who are members of this forum. Figure out the maximum thickness you expect to sew, then contact each one for advice and prices. Expect to pay over $1200 for an entry level holster machine, set-up and capable of sewing almost 1/2", to around $2500 or more for a much better quality machine capable of sewing 3/4 inch. These machines can all use #346 bonded nylon or polyester thread and number 26 or 27 needles. Big machines do big work!

Simply put you do not want a flat bed machine for making the kind of holsters you make. Won't work don't bother trying. Put together between $700 and $900 and watch ebay for a use Tippmann Boss. It is a great machine for sewing holsters and you may never need anything else. It will make you money and when you are ready to step up to a powered machine you can sell it and get back your money or maybe a profit. It is also simple, easy to learn and you can work on it yourself. For a beginner those are all important things.

The Denster is giving good advice. If I can make an addition, get a cast iron Boss and don't short stroke ANY Boss. Set it up to sew 346 thread and don't mess with it. Other than that, you'll make more holsters with the Boss than any of the other machines you have questioned about. If you want a powered machine for holsters, a 441 clone is your best bet, if you are doing cowboy holsters with bullet loops, a long arm (16.5") and a needle positioning motor is a nice option.

Art

The oblong plate (above the gold oval) should tell you the model, and the stitch length is adjusted with the know just above it (up and down in the vertical slot). Does this help?

JLSleather is right. The model# will be on that plate. Looks like a 31-15 or 31-20 to me, although Wizcrafts could be right. Either way, this is a tailors machine. Also the picture of the Consew is a 226. Thanks, Steve

This is all I know so far...

AJ- 419721 422720 31 3000 March 3 1950

This is where the info above came from!

According to the Singer chart this is a model 31 sewing machine. It does not have reverse but it has

stitch length adjustment you should be able to get around 3/8th inch material under the pressure foot.

It will not do to make holsters. Most holsters are 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. The knee lift will allow more

material under the pressure foot than lifting with the rear needle bar lift. These are nice old machines

the would work for chaps, chinks, wallets, bags or what ever you make that is less than 3/8th's inch thick.

Keep this machine and buy a machine that will sew the 1/2 to 3/4 inch material. If you purchase new

equipment you will spend a lot of money. Be a little patient and see if you can find a machine you can

afford and will do what you want it to do. Good hunting, for a bargain that is. They do exist.

Edited by busted

Can you guys and gals please help me with this machine. It was given to me and the former owner sewed leather with it, but I don't know what thickness leather I can stitch and he is now passed away and I am unsure about some things. I tested it going through ~1/4" of leather and it went through fine, but the stitches are very very close. Can you space them out? Any info you can give me would really really help!! Thanks a million in advance!!

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

Hello all! I think I have figured out what this machine is. If you go to the 6th picture down, you will see the brass plate. Just above the brass plate is the model number. If you click to enlarge, then put on your reading glasses, you can see the bottom of all 4 numbers. The first number has a rounded bottom, like the number 3, the second number is the bottom of a number 1, then there is a space, then the third number is also the bottom of a number 1, and the last number is also rounded(a little different than the number 3) like the number 5.....hence, 31 15. This machine is a 31-15. For more detective work please call Cobra Steve at 1-866-962-9880. That's all for now rookies! (Ha Ha).

How about that clutch, I just love old iron, but getting a little old to be lifting it.

Art

Hello all! I think I have figured out what this machine is. If you go to the 6th picture down, you will see the brass plate. Just above the brass plate is the model number. If you click to enlarge, then put on your reading glasses, you can see the bottom of all 4 numbers. The first number has a rounded bottom, like the number 3, the second number is the bottom of a number 1, then there is a space, then the third number is also the bottom of a number 1, and the last number is also rounded(a little different than the number 3) like the number 5.....hence, 31 15. This machine is a 31-15. For more detective work please call Cobra Steve at 1-866-962-9880. That's all for now rookies! (Ha Ha).

It does look like my faithful old 31-20, and it's pretty doggone CLEAN, very good looking setup - that clutch and motor are gorgeous. Nothing wrong with having it in the shop, there are a lot of uses for a good 31 class - especially if you can get a nice roller foot and dog for it. :)

Mine does mostly light leather, heavy clothing and horse blankets - it is fantastic for a lot of things - zipper replacement, fer instance.

But, it's not a heavy stitcher, and I'd purely hate to try to build a holster with it :) I went from all hand stitched straight to my wonderful Cobra class 3 - (thanks Steve!) for heavier stitching.