Sign in to follow this  
Vinkimus

helpful books?

Greetings to everyone!

First of all I would like to express my gratitude about the folks that manage this site,it is an oasis of knowledge and passion about leatherworking.Deeply thankful!

Now to my questions. Although I'm not a rookie in general concerning leather working (I'm in a bookbinding workshop actually and also do some other projects) I know nothing for leather carving and stamping (this technique doesn't exist here! :( ) besides what i have seen and read here.

So I will be ordering the equipment and tools needed this week and I would like to know if there are any books that will help me getting started with this.I would like to find 3 or 4 and it would be nice if they included a lot of patterns to try out.I ve seen 1 or 2 on e-bay and amazon but the comments there made me hesitant.I need them to be understanding and not overwhelming.Which ones would you recommend me?Also it is of great importance to be able to order them so if you know some websites that have your suggestions available for shipping it would be the best because i have no other way to obtain them.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your suggestions!

Tandy Leather web site has a pretty good selection of basic books to choose from. Their pattern packs are pretty good but somewhat dated as far as designs. The Leather Crafter and Saddler's Journal looks pretty good for information and patterns in each issue. I am sure there are many more out there. I would be careful buying from sites like Ebay as the price you pay is sometimes many times more than buying new from the source.The main page of this site has a bunch of links to suppliers and resources just click on the link at the top of the page to get there. Tiny print just under the header.

Edited by Jordan

Tandy Leather web site has a pretty good selection of basic books to choose from. Their pattern packs are pretty good but somewhat dated as far as designs. The Leather Crafter and Saddler's Journal looks pretty good for information and patterns in each issue. I am sure there are many more out there. I would be careful buying from sites like Ebay as the price you pay is sometimes many times more than buying new from the source.The main page of this site has a bunch of links to suppliers and resources just click on the link at the top of the page to get there. Tiny print just under the header.

Thank you Jordan, I'll look into what you suggested! I'll also keep in mind the advice about e-bay!

I have a couple duplicate copies of several of Stolhman's books on carving and lacing leather. I am also selling most if not all of my Crafttools since I have been replacing them with upgrades like Barry King & Pro Series. I will be offering my tools here first. PM if you are interested in the books and I will provide you a list of the books. I don't have many, but a few.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

I have a couple duplicate copies of several of Stolhman's books on carving and lacing leather. I am also selling most if not all of my Crafttools since I have been replacing them with upgrades like Barry King & Pro Series. I will be offering my tools here first. PM if you are interested in the books and I will provide you a list of the books. I don't have many, but a few.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

ATX I have already ordered the tools but thanks anyway!If it wouldn't be trouble send me the list so I can have them in mind!