newyorkleather

Texon, leatherboard, or other similar reinforcement

Hi. When I used to do leatherwork in Italy, when we wanted to reinforce leather, we used either a resin-coated cellulose board called "Texon" (also often used for shoe insoles) or a leatherboard material called "salpa." Does anyone know where one can order these materials in the U.S.?

Hi. When I used to do leatherwork in Italy, when we wanted to reinforce leather, we used either a resin-coated cellulose board called "Texon" (also often used for shoe insoles) or a leatherboard material called "salpa." Does anyone know where one can order these materials in the U.S.?

You probably already have this information, but you might want to call Texon's Massachusetts office for more information:

http://www.texon.com/apparelaccessories/leathergoods.htm

ed

Hi. Thanks for the reference.

Yeah, I tried to contact the Texon offices in the U.S. but they seem to only deal with huge wholesale orders.

In Italy, all I had to do was walk down the street to one of the many leather supply stores and buy Texon or leatherboard by the meter in whatever thickness I wanted. Seems so much more difficult to find the materials I need here.

What do folks use to reinforce leather here in the USA?

Thanks

You probably already have this information, but you might want to call Texon's Massachusetts office for more information:

http://www.texon.com/apparelaccessories/leathergoods.htm

ed

I HAVE BOUGHT THE LEATHER STIFFNER BOARD THAT TANDY SELLS.

Hi. Thanks for the reference.

Yeah, I tried to contact the Texon offices in the U.S. but they seem to only deal with huge wholesale orders.

In Italy, all I had to do was walk down the street to one of the many leather supply stores and buy Texon or leatherboard by the meter in whatever thickness I wanted. Seems so much more difficult to find the materials I need here.

What do folks use to reinforce leather here in the USA?

Thanks

I've used Bontex.

By the way, are you in New York City?

ed

Thanks for the tip Ed! Bontex is exactly what I would be looking for. Did you order it directly from them or is there a supplier out there?

Yes, I am in NYC.

I've used Bontex.

By the way, are you in New York City?

ed

Thanks for the tip Ed! Bontex is exactly what I would be looking for. Did you order it directly from them or is there a supplier out there?

Yes, I am in NYC.

I got the Bontex from Hidecrafter about a year ago. Give them a call to see if they still carry it. Zack White carries something else. Tandy may sell it. I also talked to a sewing shop guy on 125th street who thought it would be available somewhere in Manhattan, but I think the price would be better from Hidecrafter.

ed

Hi.

Just wanted to let you know I found a supplier for Bontex in NJ. Thanks again for the tip. Are you in NYC as well?

Hi.

Just wanted to let you know I found a supplier for Bontex in NJ. Thanks again for the tip. Are you in NYC as well?

Thanks. I'm in Brooklyn. You wouldn't by chance have an Artisan Toro would you? I'd like to try one out in the NYC area.

Ed

Hi.

What's the name of that supplier for Bontex? I'd like to see if they have Bontex in a 2.5mm thickness for insoles for UGG boots.

ed

Thanks. I'm in Brooklyn. You wouldn't by chance have an Artisan Toro would you? I'd like to try one out in the NYC area.

Ed

Hi. I'm setting up a shop in Bklyn as well. I've been based in Italy so I don't have the machines yet, so no Artisan Toro. Feel free to send me a message and we can compare notes. Cheers.

What's the name of that supplier for Bontex? I'd like to see if they have Bontex in a 2.5mm thickness for insoles for UGG boots.

ed

Simon Gruban (tel. 973-454-4375) is the Bontex person in NJ. He was very helpful with me and even sent over some samples.