Sign in to follow this  
chris1

Singer 31-15 Help!

Ok my head is going to exsplode! I picked up a vintage singer 31-15 and want to get this thing going. Lots of Internet searching has just left me confused.

I plan on sewing canvas and suede. Was wondering if it would do veg tan? Also what to sew garment leather for bags and such.

So my questions.....

What needles to do all the above?

What thread?

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Get a hold of Cowboy Bob see top banner for his ad. Bob is knowlegdeable and helpful. He stocks all kinds of needles and parts for the 31-15. They are good machines but do have limitations. Good luck

Leo.

I own a Singer 31-15. It is a tailoring machine and not much more. I am able to run up to #69 (Tex 70) bonded thread through it, although it prefers cotton or polyester garment or jeans thread. My 31-15 uses system 16x257 (aka, 1738, DBx1, DBx257) needles, in sizes 10 through 18, which are available in a variety of points. For canvas, denim, cotton and webbing, use ball point needles. For suede or thin garment leather, use a leather point needle with an oval chisel point.

If you find that your machine lacks pulling power, know that there are at least three different feed dog/throat plate combinations for your machine: fine teeth, medium teeth and heavy teeth. You will probably have to get a set of heavy teeth feeder and the matching plate for moving suede along. They stand taller and are wider than the standard or fine set.

Leathers and some suede can be sticky under the presser foot. You can either swap out the foot to a Teflon foot, or a roller equipped foot. There are literally dozens of presser feet and folder attachments that fit these machines. I find that about the thickest my machine can actually sew is just about 1/4 inch, with a flat foot. But, with the taller roller equipped foot, 3/16" is the maximum