Hi All- This is a camp ax sheath I made for my father-in-law who is a Boyscout leader. I asked him if there's anything he needed or wanted (since I need experience, and figured I'd give him something to use to boot), and this is what he asked for. The design is influenced by several sheaths I've seen online. I liked the 'dangler system' and wanted to try to use it with this to offer better freedom of movement, and multiple carry means. It has stitched belt loops for dedicated belt carry, or you can dangle it, or snap it to straps on your pack, or hook/ tie it wherever using the d-rings.

This is the FIRST and only project (besides practice scrap) that I've sewn with my Aerostitch. And of course, I managed to break the needle at the sharp bend, causing it to punch through the backside in two places at wild angles :-/

Please feel free to comment or critique my work and design! Every little bit helps :-)

Thanks for looking!

Nooj

post-14247-014443900 1306205975_thumb.jp

post-14247-067414600 1306205993_thumb.jp

post-14247-077786600 1306206005_thumb.jp

post-14247-080087600 1306206016_thumb.jp

I like it.

Been wanting to make one for myself... as soon as I get a nice camp axe. What weight was leather you used?

Thanks Jeeper. It's 9-10 oz, cut from a double shoulder I got from Tandy.

If I had to make it over, or if I do another one, I'd line it with something to cover the backside of the snaps on the flaps (so they don't rub on the ax head). But since it's just a rough old camp ax I wasn't too worried about it. I'll repaint his ax with POR-15 if it rubs the paint off.

Nooj

Very nice, indeed! The leather looks really supple and textured. What did you use to finish it?

The welt is VERY clean. Mine was not, which is why I chose to hide it with lacing.

thats very nice.

Gosh- sorry BigK; I hadn't noticed anyone else posted on this! I need to set up my account for email notices when someone posts on a topic I'm on.

I just used Fieblings pro oil light brown, and topped it off with a resolene/water mix. I can't recall if I used neatsfoot oil or not... I did polish it very lightly with some neutral Kiwi shoe polish after the resolene had set. As far as the welt- I think I re-sanded (drum sander on the drill press) and re-burnished the edge after stitching. My welts always get pooched out after stitching. I did a lot of hand sanding to smooth it out before burnishing with dye and some bee's wax.

Thanks for the comments and complements!

Nooj