MPCampbell

Trouble With Stitching Awls

Greetings,

I am having trouble with my speedy stitcher awl. I took out the thread that comes with it and purchased some black on amazon. Despite the thread listing 1mm, it seemed to big for the awl as threading it was really tough. I then went to Hobby Lobby and bought some 0.8 waxed thread and it goes through the awl without problem. Now my problem is the thread constantly cutting or breaking, I'm not sure which. At some point, sometimes after two stitches, usually after five and occasionally after twenty, the thread cuts/breaks again.

I have taken the thread off the spool and it trails out of the bottom of the awl, but this doesn't really help. I've made my holes overly large and while this helps, the thread breaks anyway. I tried another awl needle and it didn't help. Sometimes the thread binds at the spool, sometimes under the ferrule, but it always breaks up at the eye of the needle.

I've switched to using two needles and while they work every time, I really wish I could make this awl thing work as it speeds me up three or four times as quickly.

Help!

I think your pulling the thread to hard , if the thread is splitting or fuzzy I'd think the needles have a nick or sharp eye. Are you lining up the needle scarf with the clamps slot that could make them catch and break . I've used two different models and both have little difference when sewing . If you use an awl it gets pretty quick with practice . Hope this helps Gary

Sounds like junk thread. Go to SLC or Tandy and order thread they specifically say for use in your awl and you should be good to go. With some research you can find the right size substitute, but it should be waxed and I think most of the tough stuff is made from nylon. I know the thread I've used in a speed awl there's no way you are going to break it without cutting it first.

I've considered getting the Tandy stitching awl but I don't really want to throw good money after bad. I will try to talk to them about thread however. I'm very careful about how I line everything up, making certain that the thread goes in the groove under the screw on part and then in the channel up the needle. I know that it can break when the spool catches. I also know that it can break if I ram the awl through small holes or try to make a new one.

Thank you for the comments. I will check into the new thread. 8)

I know that it can break when the spool catches. I also know that it can break if I ram the awl through small holes or try to make a new one.

Definately the thread is your problem. Stitching awls like the Awl-for-all, and Speedy Stitcher, are designed to be used without having to pre-punch the holes. What do you mean by the "spool catching" ?