loopinluke

Conchoes On Spur Straps

I was wondering if any of you out there had a good way to attach conchoes to dove wing spur straps? The pair I have right now, I used chicago screws, but a person has to be careful or they work loose over time. I'm thinking there should be some really clever way to use loop back conchoes but right now my creative process is taking a break...lol. Anyway...I would sure appreciate any help you all would be willing to give.

Luke,

I have done them a couple ways. On some I have cut a slot for the loops and then riveted a strap to run through the loopback on the bottom and then it has a button hole/slit in it. The rivet is placed so the concho covers it. The other way is to make a "mushroom" from firm leather. The "stem" is the width of the loop. The cap is wider and holds it in place. The button hole is at the bottom end of the stem.

I have heard some people use locktite to hold their chicago screws in place. There are vary degrees of the stuff and if memory serves me right, the red kind isnt impossible to break loose if you are trying to replace the concho.

I have heard some people use locktite to hold their chicago screws in place. There are vary degrees of the stuff and if memory serves me right, the red kind isnt impossible to break loose if you are trying to replace the concho.

I use clear fingernail polish

Thanks for all the replies. I currently use clear fingernail polish to put the chicago screws in, but still have them come off from time to time. I tried super glue one time, and they damn sure wont come off, but you will twist the head of the screw off before you get it out.....I know this from experience. So I was just kind of looking for some other alternatives. I was also toying with the idea of seeing if a guy could get some conchoes made with two posts in the back and then there would be no way for them to spin, and they might stay tighter to the strap.

Lupin Luke, I still have some red loctite left over from my car building days, and it still works just fine. A little bit goes a long way. Between that and the methods that Bruce describes you should be good to go with any style of concho you choose

Bob.

custom conchos can be ordered with "split pins" in place of chicago screws. I like to have them placed in four places. Just another idea.

Luke

I have a few places where I get concho's made for me with a loop back and a screw as well here is a picture of them and how they are used.

post-9505-095360300 1287957441_thumb.jpg

post-9505-044076900 1287957486_thumb.jpg