Sign in to follow this  
humperdingle

How Do I Soften A Split?

Hi folks, I got a couple of sides of larp veg tan (split).

Whilst it's not board-like (it came rolled), i'd like to soften it a bit to make a floppy satchel (Same kind of feel as the wartime canvas bags)

How would I go about that? I have Aussie Conditioner - Would that help?

Anybody?

I tried the Aussie conditioner. It turned a cardboard-like moulded bag into a slightly less cardboard-like moulded bag.

I really need it to be 'floppier'... Any ideas?

Does it have finish on it yet? If not try a light coat of neats foot oil on it and let it dry. Oil can darken it a little also though.

David

you will probably have to utilize a physical rather than chemical approach to accomplish your objective. Pulling over an edge, pounding as if tenderizing. Most chemicals will do things with the color. The Inuits would have their old women chew leather to soften it. I'm not suggesting anything like that just pointing out what others have used in order to take from it what we may.

My suggestion is to get some more leather top grain no splits and just chalk this time as a lesson learned in what not to buy. No i'm not trying to give a smart a@# answer. I know i have bought stuff that didn't work out. Lessons i have paid for stick a lot better than ones that people have told me.

Does it have finish on it yet? If not try a light coat of neats foot oil on it and let it dry. Oil can darken it a little also though.

I don't think so... I have Neatsfoot on order, so I'll try a sample with that, thanks.

David

you will probably have to utilize a physical rather than chemical approach to accomplish your objective. Pulling over an edge, pounding as if tenderizing. Most chemicals will do things with the color. The Inuits would have their old women chew leather to soften it. I'm not suggesting anything like that just pointing out what others have used in order to take from it what we may.

I might give it do the dog to chew :thumbsup:

My suggestion is to get some more leather top grain no splits and just chalk this time as a lesson learned in what not to buy. No i'm not trying to give a smart a@# answer. I know i have bought stuff that didn't work out. Lessons i have paid for stick a lot better than ones that people have told me.

Yes, I only bought it because it was cheap, and was interesting to try if nothing else. I think I may just use the leather for dividers on larger items.

Cheers for the comments.

For breaking hides I use a rounded steel plate similar to a round nose shovel.

You oil the leather slightly then draw it back and forth on the flesh side.

Possibly some round heavier balls like India rubber in the dryer on cold temperature will soften it also.

Edited by Tree Reaper