justinwilliams

What Cut Of Leather Is This?

Hi all,

I bought this piece of leather from a reputable supplier a few months ago, and am just now getting around to turning it into a project. When I bought it, it was advertised as "single shoulder," but now that I look at it, well, hrm, that would be a huge shoulder! It's 3 feet wide and 5 feet long, Which leads me to believe that either: 1) it's a double shoulder (in which case, the long, rough edge on the left is the animal's neck), or; 2) it's actually a single bend with belly attached (in which case, the long, straight edge on the right is the animal's spine).

Trouble is, I don't really know how to tell 'em apart. Are there any telltale signs for whether it's a single bend or double shoulder?

I wouldn't normally fuss about this kind of difference, and I'm not considering sending it back or anything like that. Mainly, I just want to make sure that I cut the straps along the spine to increase strength. Any guesses about the what I'm looking at here? Any good ways for figuring this out? Alternatively, am I overthinking this? The leather is 4 oz bridle, and I'm goiing to double and stitch the straps.

Thanks for any help!

post-50139-0-04222300-1428414554_thumb.j

Looks like a poorly trimmed single bend to me.

Have to agree it looks like a bend.