So, new to leatherwork, much more well-versed in textile restoration and sciences than leather so I need a little advice. My mother and I have a little custom business where we create headstalls to coordinate with show blankets and tack. I'm still learning on leather so we're working with a very sweet supplier, but his english is a little scant for help in this department.

My mom, not knowing, put all the light leather tack in the same bag as the chocolate leather tack. Consequently three lovely sets of light split reins and one headstall have leeched oil and color from the dark leather. I caught it as quick as I could and did a quick glycerin soap, but it's hardly put a dent in the spots and I'm guessing we'll now have to transition these to dark leather as well.

Before we move to dye them, so as to keep mom from crying any more about "ruining everything" despite my best efforts to let her know it was an easy mistake, any ideas as to possibly evening out the tone a bit? My mom wants to put them out in the sun and I had to take the windex away from her. =p Any thoughts are appreciated, or just confirmation we should not waste our time with too much effort and just dye them dark.

post-62280-0-93179500-1437183391_thumb.j

post-62280-0-97665500-1437183392_thumb.j

Once the oil is on / in the pieces that were put in the bag it's going to be there. Theirs no way to get out that i know of. I do remember somebody saying corn starch will help never tried it and if you do i would just try it one piece. If they were mine i would oil all of the pieces that got oil on them and go on with your business. Thing's happen, it was a mistake that probley won't happen again.

You could try your hand at two shades of dye. Work them to your advantage. Nothing wrong with blending.

Use a piece of old T Shirt, putting only a small amount of dye on it. Do a "dry" dye rub so to speak.

You will be surprised.

ferg

Be careful if it is Bridle leather as it will probably not take dye due to the greases and fats that have been forced into it, i think the oil idea is most likely the best approach as already mentioned, if your not sure what type of leather it is you might want to contact your supplier for advice and to find out what treatments the leather has been given prior to sale.Good luck.