Sylvia

Tangleboss New Swivel Knife...

It would be interesting to try, but looks a little hard to control. You would have to use an angled blade and hold the knife straight up and down. I think with practice you would get the hang of it. It is a little on the spendy side, so hard to justify trying it.

Aaron

Oh trust me I would have to fanagle big time to get that one... hubby already went "they want how much?" lol He seems to forget that he bought a $400 soldering unit a few years ago. I was over at that "other leather carver forum" and the response is pretty good... and Tim says that he's had his testers tell him that a flat blade does work. AND it takes standard Tandy or Common blades.

I hope to get a chance to go see a leather show someday and maybe he'll have an exhibit.

Sylvia you find some of the neatest stuff. I have tried a standard swivel knife in the past and could never make the smooth sweeping cut let alone something intricate. Decided right then that knife and tool work were not for me since my knife work resembled an army of stick men. This is a knife I would like to try. Bookmarked for sometime in the future.

I understand how you feel, Joe. I've managed to get a couple of decent and better knives .I've also struggled to get smooth cuts, even with practicing some daily, experimenting with casing, and the different blades. I think part of my problem is being tense. I watch the pros do it and they seem relaxed and confidant as they cut and they don't seem to give a rip if they get off the tracing line.

But this knife has some interesting characteristics. I've practiced circles and haven't had much luck getting a nice one cut. This knife, to me, acts like a pencil...in that it moves and cuts in any direction. I think I like that.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, I've thought about this very design for leather before as these knive have been around a long time for stenciling and scrapbooking.

I just assumed they didn't work well for leather.

Here is an example

That being said, the Tangleboss looks like it works beautifully.

Pondering.

Kevin

This may just be what the doctor ordered - and I mean that literally. I've got rheumatoid arthritis and there are times when the hands are so knotted up that it's impossible for me to roll anything resembling a smooth curve - this style looks like I could avoid all the twisting and just keep a nice firm grip on the knife itself

The thing I do not see is adaptability in height?

Ditto to pondering ... strongly :)

Thanks for posting Sylvia! :)

Edited by McJeep

This may just be what the doctor ordered - and I mean that literally. I've got rheumatoid arthritis and there are times when the hands are so knotted up that it's impossible for me to roll anything resembling a smooth curve - this style looks like I could avoid all the twisting and just keep a nice firm grip on the knife itself

The thing I do not see is adaptability in height?

Ditto to pondering ... strongly :)

Thanks for posting Sylvia! :)

It is adjustable via a Set screw... just unscrew and adjust the saddle where you want it.

They have a face book and somewhere I saw photos where it shows how short or long the knife can be. I'll try to find them again.

In the mean time here is a review from facebook from a new user of the knife.

I received my Tangleboss today and tried it out. It is just remarkable. I am a beginner and could do cuts that I could not do or would struggle to do with an ordinary swivel knife. It doesn't come with a blade or a hex wrench for the set screws, but still, I think it is an incredible knife which is going to make leather cutting a much easier task now-especially for beginners like me.

Ok... McJeep. If you go here http://www.tanglefoottraders.com/#!__knife-sales-page

Then click on the swivel knife picture.... a pop up will show 2 other pictures which show the knife and it's min and max adjustments.

I saw someone using one of these is Sheridan this year. She had just got it so she was still getting used to it, but she was pretty sure she liked it. She said it takes some getting used to because the mind set is different while using it and you have to think differently than you would with a standard swivel knife. I didn't try it myself, probably should have. To me it looked odd and that I would have trouble with controlling it, but that's just me. I like my normal swivel knife. But I could see where it might be a great knife for someone like McJeep. I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.

Bob

It is adjustable via a Set screw... just unscrew and adjust the saddle where you want it.

Sylvia - you are a doll :) :) :)

Picking up the phone now

Bob - lucky for you it sounds like you've no idea how frustrating it can be to have to do a relatively small bit of carving in multiple seatings ;0)

Thanks folks!

edit: it's on it's wayyyyyyyyyy LOL

Edited by McJeep

Interesting idea, taking a pattern cutting knife and making it bigger for leatherworkers. New idea for the application, but not a new knife design/idea. I've been using similar knifes for pattern cutting masking film & mylar for airbrushing for years. There is a definite learning curve as folks will likely find and as Electrathon mentioned, they work best with an angled blade and being held very straight. Tilting them for undercut curves or for using a straight blade will work but they cut can get choppy and hangup as the blade will want to cut deeper if laid over on it's side at all. The knife will also want to track in materials with a grain pattern so you'll likely find that on cheaper leathers or if using a not-so-sharp blade following a line will require more concentration while you compensate.

On the plus side, with enough practice this type of knife is great for intricate patterns and follows exactly where your hand leads it so push and pull cuts should feel exactly the same. It's not magic though, if you can't draw a straight line or flowing curve with a pencil already this knife won't change that for cutting. The concept is like a tractor trailer, the trailer follows where the cab goes. Knowing both types of knives pretty well though I'll stick to a traditional swivel knife as there are too many variables that can affect the path on this new style since you don't have 100% control over the blade movement. (not to mention at $140 it should come with a basic blade at least...very pricey for just the barrel IMO).

Want to give the knife style a try before shelling out big bucks? Xacto has two versions of swivel knives both for around $10 each. They have different style handles but will still give you an idea if you like the "trailing cut" style of cutting versus traditional. Any decent craft store will carry them, just look for "XACTO - Craft swivel knife".

Cheers,

Chris

X3253_A.jpg?ext=.jpg_0028_X3241_A.jpg?ext=.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

good points - will keep em in mind

Will try to remember to do a follow up post once I get it and play with it a bit - at the very least I think it's worth a shot - anything to save the mitts :)

good points - will keep em in mind

Will try to remember to do a follow up post once I get it and play with it a bit - at the very least I think it's worth a shot - anything to save the mitts :)

It should definitely help with your hands McJeep, and worst case scenario, you can always grab the traditional knife for any areas the TB doesn't work in and then switch back. One thing you'll find out pretty fast is the realization of how much we (people in general) over shoot lines & such on curves. The part that will take the most practice with this kind of knife is the U-turn as you notice right away your mind & hand have a tendency to want to close the circle. have fun!

Not so much breaking. I have had two for a while, and they are a little tricky to learn (unlearn standard swivel). They use a 7/32 inch bladeshaft. Scroll and circles are easier, straight lines are a little more difficult for me.

Art

I think this is "breaking news" here. The tangleboss swivel knife looks very nice I would love to feel how this works.

http://www.tanglefoottraders.com/home#!__tangleboss_swivelknife

I have had two for a while, and they are a little tricky to learn (unlearn standard swivel).

Art

uhmmm.... care to let me borrow one to try? LOL

Hello there, I am Tim Judd from Tanglefoot Traders, Inc. in Las Vegas, NV. I am the creator of the "TangleBoss" swivel knife and I am here for you if you have any questions concerning it. To clarify a few things about the knife, on the very first batch of 50 that went out I didn't send out allen wrenches with them by mistake, I had them but forgot to include them in the packaging. All knives now come with the corresponding allen wrench to make all necessary adjustments and blade changes. If you received one of the first batch just let me know and I will send you an allen wrench out as soon as possible. As far as the blades go, I have never claimed to be a blade maker therefor I felt it best to leave the blades to the guys that are, not to say that I wont make a blade in the future because I am working on several as we speak. They will be made of O-1 tool steel heat treated to a Rockwell hardness of 58 and polished to a high sheen but as of now they are not yet available from Tanglefoot Traders. I figured that since I did not have blades I would make the knife to fit the most common blades in the industry. I built them to take the standard craft tool shank size which includes Tandy, Robert Baird, Chuck Smith, Barry King (small shank) and Hensley to name a few. Just a little bit about the creation of the TangleBoss, as we all have heard "necessity is the mother of all invention" one night I was carving a pretty large Sheridan style pattern and kept getting cramps in my hand so I started thinking there had to be a better way to do this, so I started looking at my swivel knife collection trying to understand the basis of its design, and it dawned on me that a swiveling blade might be the answer. I never thought in my wildest dreams that that moment was the turning point for the creation of my new knife. I sketched out a drawing and started looking into building a prototype design. The first one was sketchy at best and I realized that changes needed to be made. The second one was much closer to the correct setup but even it needed some modification. The third try was the kicker, it worked exactly as I had seen it in my minds eye but it was made to only fit my large hand. I took that design to the Gathering of the Masters class in Elko, NV and showed the design to the teachers there and was surprised at the reaction that I received from them. Everyone that tried it said the same thing...."Your onto something that has merit" and "this thing does things my normal swivel knife just cant do!" but that the yoke must be modified to allow for adjustment. I went back to the drawing board and figured out a way to make the yoke adjustable and decided to produce a run of 50 of that design. I slipped a picture of the 50 knives onto my own facebook group called The Remuda trying to just quietly let a few folks know whats coming and BAM my phone started ringing off the hook and I sold the first 50 in 3 days. I have had many reviews of the knife since its launch and to this day have not had any negative feedback as to how it works, but only people wishing they would have known that multiple colors were coming on the second and third batches. I don't think that the TangleBoss will ever replace our existing swivel knives but will be another tool for your tool rack that will come into play more and more as you realize how easy and time saving it really is. I stand behind them 100% and if anyone is unhappy with their purchase I will gladly refund their money as well as shipping to return it to me. I hope my story didn't bore you too much and I hope that I may have answered any questions you may have had. They knives are available and in stock and can be had by going to www.tanglefoottraders.com and following the TangleBoss links.

Thanks for the interest!

Tim

he he he... I think Tim's ears were burning. :)

hehe!! not burning just tingling :-)

hehe!! not burning just tingling :-)

So the "tingling" must have been the phone ringing when McJeep ordered. I wish I could order but it has to wait.

LOL?

Boise....Just Sylvia, why would I?, How could I?

Art

uhmmm.... care to let me borrow one to try? LOL

LOL?

Boise....Just Sylvia, why would I?, How could I?

Art

Well golly, it's only a whole continent away... That's no problem at all in these modern times.

And you would because you like me even if you think you don't... :P

Sylvia, your in Boise? If so I may have an option for you. Give me a call at 8888129121 to discuss.

Edited by juddger

Sylvia, your in Boise? If so I may have an option for you. Give me a call at 8888129121 to discuss.

Ok.. I'll call in a few mins.

Chris, you beat me to it. The design isn't new, just the application.

It looks like it will be good for quite a few people, but I definitely see having to swap knives for different kinds of cuts. It reminds me of some advice I got a long time ago....which I'm sure others have heard as well : "Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

Still, a nice innovation, and it's good to see that there are some people looking to expand our craft.

Mike,

Sometime, quite a little while ago, I acquired a swivel knife (for leather) that was much the same as the TBoss. This was some time before eBay, possibly BPC, or 1980. It was not like a pen and had a yoke. If I have it, I can't find it, but I also have an ol' Smoothie I can't find either. The TBoss is well manufactured and finished, moreso than the one I got many moons ago.

Art