Johanna

Slaughter Free Leather

Siegel of California, Inc- 700 McMurray Rd- Buellton, CA 93427 telephone: 800.862.8956

Slaughter Free Leather

This leather will be arriving in a couple of days. The leather is produced from animals which were never slaughtered. They may have died from any variety of reasons; pasture accident, lightning strike, etc, etc. All of this leather is vegetable tanned. Each side will be signed on the back and come with a letter of authenticity. We can make any variety of leathers from thes hides from strap sides to handbag leathers. Our first product are natural colored, strap sides in 7/8 & 8/10 oz. Because these sides have come from fallen animals, I would not recommend this leather for any safety applications. For example, it could be colored, tooled and dyed to be used for waist belts but, please do not consider using this leather for something such as reins.

From our initial feedback, there was an incredible interest in this product, as so many of y'all spoke of customers who were otherwise purchasing synthetics over leather as the result of their political beliefs. So, this can be an added product to your line of materials in addition to what you currently produce.

from current newsletter

I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that they didn't remove the hides while the animals were still alive. THAT would be cruel.

It does make me wonder about their 'politics'. They object to the animal being slaughtered, but it's ok if it was run over by a truck? There are at least three dead skunks within 5 miles of here along the road. Could I make some $$ selling the pelts in California? Armadillos commit suicide regularly, but I don't know about the quality of the leather. (For those who don't know, armadillo brains are wired wrong. If a vehicle is coming at them on a road, their defense mechanism is to wait until the last second, then jump up, hitting the bumper instead of having the vehicle safely pass overhead.)

Thank goodness no farmer would ever lie about a pelt just because he could get more money by saying it was killed "naturally".

To think, I used to go to the Renaissance Festival and joke about the Society for Creative Anachronism. Now I have become one.

Silliest thing I've heard since water-based dyes.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that they didn't remove the hides while the animals were still alive. THAT would be cruel.

It does make me wonder about their 'politics'. They object to the animal being slaughtered, but it's ok if it was run over by a truck? There are at least three dead skunks within 5 miles of here along the road. Could I make some $$ selling the pelts in California? Armadillos commit suicide regularly, but I don't know about the quality of the leather. (For those who don't know, armadillo brains are wired wrong. If a vehicle is coming at them on a road, their defense mechanism is to wait until the last second, then jump up, hitting the bumper instead of having the vehicle safely pass overhead.)

Thank goodness no farmer would ever lie about a pelt just because he could get more money by saying it was killed "naturally".

To think, I used to go to the Renaissance Festival and joke about the Society for Creative Anachronism. Now I have become one.

Lord luv a duck!!! Yeppers, the Santa Inez Valley (Where Buellton is) is in drout ridden, economically depressed Ca. The tourist industry is hurting up there, (one of their biggest industries) the wine growers ain't dong too well, (the weather has been bad for growing and who's got the bucks for expensive wine?) and some cattle farmer (that's about to loose everything) invents a neat marketing gimick!! No feed lot expenses either! As to being an anachronism, at my age, I guess that I are one! whistle.gif Mike

Edited by katsass

Yep, good points for the average leather worker's customer. With my background I don't share a lot of the same views of some of these folks that have a PILE of disposable income. I can see where it would appeal to those who are about three generations from the farm, don't have the same background on animal utilization I do, and want something unique. If I had that clientele or thought I could get them, damn straight I'd be using it. I am mercenary enough to hope it sells well. Someone will take their money, might as well be a guy I know. It is just wrapping up a product and marketing it in a whole new way. More power to the guys who thought it up, and to the guys whose customers will seek it out, feel better about buying it, and pay makers the premium price.

very few animals are killed for their skins, leather is a by product of the meat industry, the animal has died, I don't think it is rational not to use the skin would the animal be bothered?

If the masses begin to equate leather with cruelty then bad things are on the horizon for leatherworkers.

'Slaughter free leather' is a first step in that direction.

I won't buy from Siegel as long as they 'push' this product.

This is not a new concept, making leather from dead cows. The only thing new is the promotion of the fact. Leather has been made from dead cows everysince there has been a dead animal wagon going to farms and ranches which has been as long as I can remember. As far as I know the hide off every dead cow that went to the rendering plant was used to make leather. Mike Row from the show "Dirty Jobs" done a show on an animal rendering plant where the hides were taken off the cow before being ground and rendered for by products. So I think its just being advertised for some of the people out in cal. Present company accepted Bruce!

Randy,

First off - my background to answer the email question. One great grandfather was a cattle feeder. One great grandfather was a livestock dealer and packer buyer. One grandfather was a dairy farmer. My other grandfather fed cattle and had mother cows. Two uncles are/were packing house cattle buyers and my dad was a hog buyer. We worked our way through school in a union meat packing plant. My brother stuck with it and is a PhD meat scientist. I went to vet school. We have horses, and cattle most of the time. My son is an auctioneer and works 4 days a week or more at cattle auctions. We pretty much know where stuff comes from and what happens to it.

Randy, I'd like to think that the target customer population just exists in California but unfortunately I don't think so anymore. This slaughter free leather as I see it would be for the small segment of the population that has a moral issue with slaughter, but not the products of them once dead. They don't have to share my views, just buy our leather products. That is a very tiny market segment overall, but one that is probably there. However the people who sympathize with this is not. (Congrats to Ohio voters for just passing a sane livestock handling initiative - good shootin'). There are a lot of people who are 3 generations from the farm. Grandad went to town to work after WWII and meat has come in a package, the only thing that died they have seen is a dog, and leather is in the store. They know where it comes from, and sort of think they know how it got there. A few well placed ads from animal groups - some legit and some not, and a few high profile people denouncing animal cruelty, anthropomorphism, and it is easy to see why these people have the thoughts they do - right or uninformed.

These people are not the majority, but there is more of them than there used to be. A few may be talked to and have a reasonable discussion. It seems like reasonable discussions in the media turn into who can talk over who on the news channels, and to quote a higher profile spokesperson for the livestock business - "They are just as narrow minded as we are". If some of these people will buy slaughter free leather and pay a price knowing that it wasn't harvested or whatever the latest PC term is now, great. I don't think for a minute that this is an effort by Siegels to push an anti-animal cruelty agenda with this project. It is filling a small niche market with a niche product. Whether the customer base is enough to accept it and make it worthwhile is something time will tell.

I'd like to think the rancher did get some economic benefit from the animal but the fact is, he probably paid to get rid of that animal and lost money. That is a reason some of us have a bonepile and coyotes for recycling purposes. Slaughter free is not a profit center for anyone I know in the livestock business. It is a way for processors to recoup costs and be profitable. Ag producers are one of the few businesses that buy their raw materials and equipment at retail and sell their finished product at wholesale. Another topic though. Off the soapbox.

I will only buy hides from "madcow" infested animals, period!

I never thought I would see the day that leather was "slaughter free" and people wanted free range chickens (yay for Ohio, we narrowly escaped!). And I am only 21. Kinda scared of what's to come. Will I be banned from riding my horse someday? ;)

OMG give me a break, I have a lot of that leather if I need it, and the certificate to prove ithead_hurts_kr.gif

I like the idea of slaughter free. But as long as people eat meat we will have slaughter hides. I have many vegan friends, it doesn't matter if it is slaughter free or not, they will not buy it. I find this is just a little gimmicky but each to their own.

As for free range chickens, that is the way they were when I was growing up. However antibiotics and steroids replaced the better taste of free-range chickens.

I work in leather of all types. I love leather. The smell, the feel of it. I do not advocate the murder of animals. I do not eat red meat and if you are going to kill a cow, pig, deer, elk or moose. I believe you need to use or find a use for everything or give what you don't use to someone who does. I know that cows are slaughtered for their meat but there is a use for every part.

I do not subscribe to big game trophy hunters that, go out and hunt for just the hide or the head, you better use the whole animal. If you hunt deer, moose, elk then don't throw the hide out, give it to someone who uses it. I used to have friends who were hunters. They boiled the hooves for the dogs, ate the meat, called me to get the hides and made buttons and crib boards out of the horns.

Now, I will stand down from my soap box.

Well it's been over 5 years now since I first heard about "slaughter free" leather (see OP)....and I haven't heard of it since...Thank You Lord.

I'll admit I'm torn on this issue. And I'll also admit I'm a hypocrite. I don't mind using the reptile skins at all but the mammals still give me a twinge when I order them. I didn't see this until today so I probably would have been buying from them in the past. Now it seems like the only purpose to buy it would be to moo about myself and what a good person I am. I honestly am a good person but I also love working with leather. Odd I won't use elephant and SLC knows not to send it to me in my exotic packs. But that a whole different story....Cheryl

I will never use elephant, kangaroo or exotic mammals.

Well it's been over 5 years now since I first heard about "slaughter free" leather (see OP)....and I haven't heard of it since...Thank You Lord.

This slaughter-free vegtan leather was only offered by Siegels. Steve Siegel downsized his business not long after, and now seems to be concentrating on higher end book binding leather. This doesn't mean country hides went away, they just aren't marketed as such.

Folks, there is a reason we humans are at the top of the foodchain. Treat animals with care and respect/appreciate what they can supply us with. I agree "slaughter free" leather is nothing more than a gimmick to cater to a few who have made different life choices.

I don't see any problem with it at all. If someone wants this type of leather, and someone can supply it, use it. It's called the free market.

Hi Leatherwytch, not looking for a blue or anything ,just wondering why you wouldn't use roo leather. Everyone has their right to a view and it is interesting at times to listen to that view. I promise I am not going to comment on your views but I am interested in them. Thanks Peter.