Sign in to follow this  
katsass

First of this type for me

Well, after seeing the work of Dave at DCKnives I finally had to try an inlay piece. His work is so good and unique that I had to try to emulate him . This is for an old Smith & Wesson Model 14 target gun that has been tricked out and has custom made target stocks. It was made for the owner just to keep the gun protected on the way to the range, not to carry, so there is no belt loop. This is the first time I have ever tried to do a piece of inlayed work, and I made some mistakes and screw-ups, BUT, I learned a lot! And yes, thats all saddle stitched. Mike

008-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

very nice Mike. what did you use for the finish. i like that mellow glow.

Tony

Very nice work!

very nice Mike. what did you use for the finish. i like that mellow glow.

Tony

Well Tony, it's my own mix of (believe it or not) 50/50 water and "Mop & Glo"..... the stuff for floors. I had run out of that old Tandy 'Neat Sheene' stuff one day way back when, and found that this is basically the same stuff....an acrylic that dryed sort of shiny. I messed with it a little and found that this 50/50 mix didn't darken the leather as much as most other stuff that I tried. I put it thru and airbrush and give the thing a fine misting, wait about 10 min (here in the desert) and one more light shot. Been using it for years. Mike

very nice. do you have any problems with it cracking at all, like the some of the other acrylics?

Tony

very nice. do you have any problems with it cracking at all, like the some of the other acrylics?

Tony

Tony, I got carried away way back while experimenting and layed the stuff on pretty heavy, 4 or 5 shots as I remember, and that cracked when bent pretty far. With just the two fine mistings it never has given anyone trouble. The first and second shot seem to just soak into the leather and don't build a real surface coat. Mike

Tony, I got carried away way back while experimenting and layed the stuff on pretty heavy, 4 or 5 shots as I remember, and that cracked when bent pretty far. With just the two fine mistings it never has given anyone trouble. The first and second shot seem to just soak into the leather and don't build a real surface coat. Mike

do you put any other protectant on it or does the mop n glow mix keep it protected?

Tony

do you put any other protectant on it or does the mop n glow mix keep it protected?

Tony

No Tony, I don't use any other protectant. The stuff seems to soak in and provides a semi water repellant surface. 'Taint water PROOF but works pretty well. We don't get a lot of wet weather out here in the desert but what little rain and snow we do get has never been problematical. My son shoots trap and has attended the CA State shoot in Kingsburg CA where the humidity stays around 90% and the temps are in the high 90's. Nothing will stay dry, and even carrying this case I made him a few years ago (rubbing up against soggy, sweatty clothes) no moisture damage has been experienced. Mike

003-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

007.jpg

Edited by katsass

wow, looks good, i really like the looks of that finish.

Tony