sandanielee

How To Carve This One

hi folks,

i have a very special problem, i dont know whats the best way to carve this dog. My problem is there a no hard lines with i can cut... hope anyone can help me with an idea...

DSH bild 5.jpg

post-42092-0-52713100-1390762861_thumb.j

PM Crystal; she might help you with it.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=52999

In addition to contacting Crystal get Stohlmans book on figure carving. It is a great book for seeing how lines are laid out and I think there are Dog sketches similar to your picture. When I do a picture like that I make a black and whit copy thenn use a pen to darken the lines i want to cut. Either ust the copy over the leather or use traccing paper or film to trace the picture using dark solid lines for those you want to cut and dotted lines for where you will shape but not cut.

If you have access to Photoshop, there's a filter you can use on that image which basically turns it into a line art image...that would probably work pretty well as a basis to start from...

Edited by TXAG

If you have access to Photoshop, there's a filter you can use on that image which basically turns it into a line art image...that would probably work pretty well as a basis to start from...

Ditto on what TXAG said. You can do the same with Inkscape. I used to use it to make scrollsaw patterns. Not home right now, but scrollsaw workshop has some Inkscape tutorials on YouTube that could probably be adapted to come up with good images for carving.

Edited by jackd942

And if you don't have Photoshop there is a free one called GIMP. It can do pretty much everything Photoshop can, and certain can do basic functions like that. Its not quit as intuitive to use as Photoshop, but it is free.

There is a tracing pattern in this book by Al Sthloman

of a german shepard.

14-Patterns-For-the-Leather-Craftsman-by-Al-Stohlman.gif

post-3080-0-41635600-1391560543_thumb.gi

Edited by craftsman827

It is available from Tandy Leather Craft Library as a digital download for $6.99. https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1496-14-patterns-for-the-leather-craftsman-by-al-stohlman.aspx?