Windrider30

Really Newbie Question And I Hate Asking This But Cant Stop...

Ok so just touched my first piece of leather (a coaster that came with what I bought) now I know that when you are tooling leather you need to soak it or at least get it wet enough to take an impression, I was just messing around to see how A: different pressures with the hammer effected the impression from soft taps to wacking the piss out of my thumb..er stamp...and B: to see what happens at different dampness of the leather so here is the questions. First question what is the "best" dampness (you know like when it just starts to turn back to its natural color when it its darker and you know its still sucking up the water) for stamping and 2 (the question I really hate asking but have to so be nice and no eye rolling!!) do different thickness in leather absorb the water quicker or is it all about the same time, you know does a 9oz piece of leather take longer to absorb water then say a 3oz piece of leather (both the same size)? Ok now I am off to nurse a slightly sore thumb...must remember smack stamp not thumb!!!

Thanks all!

Everything you need to know about casing (wetting) leather is in the thread pinned above.

Here is the link:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19121

Edited by mtroyalguy

Windrider, in my experience thinner leather absorbs water faster than thicker, but I've noticed that the thinner leather tends to be softer with a bit of a nap. The softer surface definitely pulls in water faster than a stiffer one. As for what stage to stamp, it seems that soaking the leather and then letting it dry enough so that when you press down on the surface you don't end up with a puddle is the point to want to reach.

Cool thanks for the answers =)

Practice some more with varing mosture content until you find which gives you the best burnishing effect and then you'll have it. Good luck Troy :rolleyes:

Yeah the wife and I have both been practicing so far what we have done is rather funny but interesting to us as for the water content and how dry is to dry, now if I can only find away to keep from smacking my thumb with the hammer!