Sign in to follow this  
Regis

nearly every guitar strap I see has a buckle?

It seems that nearly every guitar strap I see has a buckle. With the risk of scratching guitar, why is that? Is there a practical reason other than perhaps greatly extending length range (more than with a few keyhole slots at each end)? Or, is it simply traditional?

Just curious as I'm about to make a couple for friends and I know the length they use (51" & 48"). So, why should I use buckles?

Thanks,

Regis

It's a convenience to be able to adjust the strap for standing or sitting. People generally wear the guitar lower when they stand, and cinch it up a little for playing while seated. I sometimes put my strap on more than one guitar, too. My electric guitar calls for the strap to be shorter (tighter) than my acoustic.

YMMV

Johanna

Regis, when i design and buid a guitar strap for a Professional Play

that strap is for one guitar only. These players use fastners refered to as

"strap locks" , this will give them the adjustment length they will need ,with

a coupla of extra holes to put the strap lock in on the end of the strap.

I do not use this 100% but most of the time. Most of my straps are

for the Heavy Electric guitars. the Accustic are light weight and i

will punch a keyhole slot for attachment.

Some times i will use a Large buckle on the front of the strap, like a

3 pc western style, and the billet end will give some amt of adjustment.

Do like i have done , check out a Music store to see the straps they sell

and then improve with your own touch.

(would send photos but ,they are too large, WE will fix that on the next visit?)

:guitar:

I and others that play much better than me, shy away from any metal on a guitar strap. Just to be alittle safer as far as scratches. alot of the straps made of modern materials have gone to nylon or plastic hardware. I suppose spanish braid on a buckle would be the way to go. This still will not prevent what happened to my gibson songwriter deluxe. The other day my son finished playing and inspite of my constant nagging he did not return it to the case, teenagers--Sheesh! anyway for whatever reasen while it was leaning on a chair the metal vent cover for the heating system directly above it on the ceiling to a dislike to it and fell putting a 3/4" gash in the lower bout. It didn't break thru the soundboard but a 1600 dollar guitar now needs about 300 dollars of work and will never be worth what it should be for resale after I am sittin pretty in valhala.

Jordan i do feel for you about the Accident...

My son would like to have a Guitar like the one S R V was playing

i told him that i had the sandpaper and files and hammer...

he wont let me near his Guitar now... :red_bandana:

Jordan what do you think abouit that songwriter deluxe, I seen some at the custom shop and thought they looked nice but i didnt get a chance to place any. Right now for accoustic I have a alverez that i wouldnt trade for the world but i wish it had a bit more playable neck but that might be because im used to being a tele wacker and they are about the easiest playing plank to spank. I still wont trade the alverez 22 years of cured rosewood tone, everyone else who plays it raves, so i think its just me. At anyrate i was concidering one of those Gibbies

Oh yea Im with you NOOOOOO BUCKLES ON STRAPS,hehe

I really like it, great sound and good electronics on board, has good neck adjustments to lower the action but the neck is a bit wide for my hands, almost all acoustics I've messed with have wider necks than electrics except maybe the ovations. I am in no way fooling myself that I am actually able to play, as a matter of fact I plain suck. but I can pluck out twinkle twinkle, some garcia riffs and some roots and blues rythum stuff. Its just that I always wanted a gibson since I was a kid, so I got one when I had the money. Who knew after living in the house for 11 years that the vent was never screwed in, and chose to fall off just when a guitar was sitting under it! wouldn't have believed it but it happened to me :bawling: Would have been emotionally easier if it had fallen on my head but probably cost the same to fix, with healthcare costs today LOL

Battle scared but still pressing on LOL