cudofcow

Tandy Adjustable V Gouge Problems

I'm using a tandy leather factory V-Gouge and the blade keeps wobbling when i use it so i am having trouble getting an even cut, it is a deep cut at first, then at the end of the cut its very shallow. I took it apart and noticed that the gap between the blade and the screw is really wide so it wobbles around.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8082-00.aspx

Anyone else have this issue? Know how to fix it? I was thinking about using a rubber washer, but figured i'd ask because maybe i'm just doing it wrong...

yep Ive had the same problem...I thought it was something I was doing wrong too

The slot is WAY to wide. Teh repair is to take a hole and cut a slot in it the exact width as the top of the blade. Easy fix on a lathe, hard by hand.

Is there a better v-gouge to use that i might consider purchasing?

I have the

Craftool Adjustable "V" Gouge

Item #31811-00 and it works well.

I can't fix my post because the site will not allow editing, GRRR.

You need to take a BOLT. Not sure where the word HOLE came from.

You need to take a BOLT.

Take a bolt and cut a slot in it the exact width as the top of the blade.

electrathon,

I haven't removed the casing from my V-gouge yet so I'm unable to visualize your solution......

Does the slotted-bolt then replace the existing screw/knob? How do you take the casing apart, Is it just a press-fit?

Thanks, John

If you take the threaded part out you will see it is basicly a bolt with a slot/grove gut near the end. the slot is about twice as wide as it should be, that is why the blade wiggles up and down so much, nothing to hold it firm in place. If you make a new bolt with a narrower slot the blade will no longer wiggle and your grove will be consistant in cut depth.

I started to fix mine a few weeks ago. Of course the parts are laying on my workbench. If I have time I will try to get to it this weekend and take pics of the repair.

Aaron

Thanks for that explanation Aaron, I think I'll wait to see your pictures before I attempt the modification. - John

Tried bending mine to close the gap and tighten it up snapped one side right off. Pot metal I guess.

I use a wood carving V gouge and it works very well

I also use wood working chisels for cutting in slots

good sharp wood chisels and gouges work great for making precision cuts on leather

Ialso have a thumb plane that works excellent for skiving down leather

anyway I just thought I would throw that out there :red_bandana:

I have 2 of the New Improved models from Tandy, second one came in some tools I bought.

They are Junk not worth messing with.

Have an original one which is a wonderful tool works well.

Try and take it back, they wouldn't take the one I bought from them back.

More trash-can quality.

Try and take it back, they wouldn't take the one I bought from them back.

Complain to the corporate leval. The managers are supposed to do whatever to make you happy. Corporate would tell them to take it back. If you have one of the worthless managers that will not do his job go over his head. I have dealt with three managers so far. Two were/are wonderfull to work with and one was worthless (the worthless one was famous for not honoring waranty too).

An interesting note about Tandy, if you aren't happy with the service you're getting through the web service you can't change store locations .

The only way to do that is to phone your order in to a different location.

My local Tandy Leather Factory store here in Chattanooga is awesome! everyone there are very helpful and Jim the manager is one of the most helpful and dedicated and willing to help however he can

he holds classes every week and regularly tries to schedule professional leather working business owners to conduct workshops.

we just finished a holster making work shop and the end of this month a saddle bag workshop will be taking place

if there are any issues with tools and material they will do everything possible to make it right

However I too have noticed the decline in quality with some tools and I think that has a lot to do with out sourcing from overseas manufacturers I remember a time when all the tools had made in USA now they have Fabrique EN Tiwan or China or some other foreign country.

I think if they are going to sell specialty tools made with sub par materials and sub par materials they should not be asking a premium price. the price should reflect on the quality of the tools.

Well my local tandy also fired their manager and replaced jim with an even more awesome manager, Dana Is very helpful and will replace faulty tools or anything that you are not satisfied with. Dana holds several classes through the week which costs a small material fee to cover a portion of the leather and other hardware that may be used and we have an open workshop every Saturday which usually turns into a BS session about an hour after everyone shows up we learn a lot just bouncing each others tips and tricks off each other.

I hope TLF keeps Dana.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

Back to the original topic, I have always disliked the 8082 gouge. It is difficult to impossible for me to sharpen and it is also difficult for me to control in use.

I also prefer the 31811 gouge as it eliminated both of the above problems I've encountered with the 8082.

But, don't over look the similarly handled Adjustable U gouge. It is similar in every way to the handled V gouge except the blade is in a "U" shape. The V gouge is used for making 90 degree bends where the U gouge is used for making 180 degree bends as in a belt loop for sheaths, etc.

Thanks,

Michelle

ya the 8082 is a piece of crap IMHO

here is the one you want V gouge and it is easy to sharpen and keep sharp