David

New Sucker Punch Seat

New Seat  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new art

• yes
    • no

I decided to modify the new Sucker Punch trademark to make a more interesting piece of seat art.

Wonder what their opinion will be?

Please feel free to vote and/or leave a message.

Dave

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003a.JPG

post-5652-1232809697_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1232809706_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

I like all your seats, but even though I voted yes, I think the birds look a little to disney-ish for a motorcycle seat.

Dave got a couply questions for you,

First off how do you get those holes punched so evenly spaced do have a template or what's the method

Second, what's the lacing pattern do you use on those seats a round braid or what is it

Third, what size lace do you use

Fourth you are a very talnted man thank you for posting.

Josh

I like all your seats, but even though I voted yes, I think the birds look a little to disney-ish for a motorcycle seat.

Hey Jordan,

I can't take credit for the birds, the are tattoo flash and have been used before on SPS seats.

Thanks for the comments and for taking a look.

Dave

Dave got a couply questions for you,

First off how do you get those holes punched so evenly spaced do have a template or what's the method

Second, what's the lacing pattern do you use on those seats a round braid or what is it

Third, what size lace do you use

Fourth you are a very talnted man thank you for posting.

Josh

Josh,

I lay the holes out on a master pattern and use dividers to space the holes.

The lace pattern is a modified basket weave. Whereever the basket weave says go under, go over instead. In other words it is a simple go 3 forward and 2 back repeating weave. Very simple and quick to do. I learned it from ShirleyZ.

I use 1/4" kangaroo lace in 1/8" holes.

Thanks,

Dave Theobald

The seat looks great over all as allways. You do a fantastic job of carving and contstruction.

I have to agree with Jordon in the fact that I dont really like the style of the birds for some reason. I like the other birds you were doing on the SPS seats. You did a good job on them its just the style. However thats just me.

It's got a nice cleaness to it....good detail without being too 'busy'/complicated.

The birds do look bit different on this seat which is also my business card. Same birds, but they do come off differently

Dave

IMG_0305.JPG

post-5652-1232830796_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

I get, and like the birds. I used to see them tattooed on the old salt bosun's mates when I was in Uncle Sam's canoe club.

I think it looks excellent Dave! They should like that design, it's modern old school just like their bikes. The sparrows are a deeper cut into traditional tattoo flash than most people are familiar with and you translated them wonderfully to leather. A+++ as always.

-The Wolf

PS- I tried that modified basket weave you suggested with a florentine lace and it came out awesome!

I think it looks excellent Dave! They should like that design, it's modern old school just like their bikes. The sparrows are a deeper cut into traditional tattoo flash than most people are familiar with and you translated them wonderfully to leather. A+++ as always.

-The Wolf

PS- I tried that modified basket weave you suggested with a florentine lace and it came out awesome!

Wolf,

I'm glad that worked out for you, be sure to thank ShirleyZ next time you see her post, she is the one who taught it to me.

Dave

Well, I guess Sucker Punch accepted the design. I wrote them that I was going to do a brown to light tan fade on the seat. The response was "Can you dye it black?" I guess that means they like it?

LOL

Ya gotta love em.

Dave Theobald

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002a.JPG

post-5652-1232885516_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1232885527_thumb.jpg

Great work ...my thoughts might be to do something different to the word 'SALLYS' it gets a little lost in the star....maybe a larger or different font....my 2 cents....

South Paw

I agree with you, the Sallys is too thin and too small, it was that way on their trademark also. Originally all three words were inside the shield shape which makes everything hard to read..

I felt I'd taken enough liberties with their logo (some companies get real wierd if you change their mark) so I left it in scale with the other letters.

Thanks for taking a look,

Dave

Looks great, too bad they want you to dye it black. Ahh well.

I like it, are you going to color it or just do a stain?

BLACK IT IS!

Thanks for all your comments. This is one of the most helpful exercises we do here. Finding out what others think and why is always a helpful design exercise.

The tally on the votes was 27-1 in favor of liking the seat. I wish the 1 would have left a comment for me.

Thanks again,

Dave

black_seat1.JPG

black_seat2.JPG

black_seat3.JPG

post-5652-1232970936_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1232970947_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1232970960_thumb.jpg

Dave,

I really enjoy seeing your work! It's inspirational! That's a great looking seat and as far as the sparrows go, I'm not a big fan of them, however, your CARVING of them is exceptional! Fantastic detail and clarity.

Where do get your kangaroo lace? I'm looking for some 1/4" or 3/16" Black.... about 50 ft or so...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave,

I really enjoy seeing your work! It's inspirational! That's a great looking seat and as far as the sparrows go, I'm not a big fan of them, however, your CARVING of them is exceptional! Fantastic detail and clarity.

Where do get your kangaroo lace? I'm looking for some 1/4" or 3/16" Black.... about 50 ft or so...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Troy,

The lace if from Jim Downey, Skull Valley AZ. His address is on our list of suppliers here on the site. He's a nice guy and ships quickly

Dave

Thank You Sir!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

The seat looks great.

However, when you dyed it back according to the picture the word "salies"(spelling bad) seams to be a little hard to read. but it may be the picture.

someday i will have to bite the bullet and attempt to make one of these seats.

Leatherjunkie,

I agree with you about all the lettering. The word Sallys became harder to read....but that's true any time you dye the leather black. Especially when you must Neat-Lac the seat to prevent the crocking that always results from black dye. This seat became rather difficult to photograph due to the shiny nature of the Neat-Lac

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Final poll 29-2 in favor of liking the design

Dave,

I agree with an earlier comment in the thread that the birds look Disneyish. If you had used some Celtic Bird designs I think you could get the same affect and have a unique look.

BillB