Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Has anyone else indexed their magazines?

Once upon a time I indexed my collection of leather magazines. Well, It was lost when I upgraded to a new operating system. (If you're a geek, yes I know about backups. :head_hurts_kr: ) Anyway, I am once again trying to index my magazines. I am using MS-Excel and am up to about 1979. (Yes, I've got a ways to go).

Has anyone else indexed their magazines? If so, can I have a peek?

Mike

Mike, I believe that a Frank Zigon compiled indices for all the Lather magazines since day 1. However, I am not sure if he has done the LC&SJ, at least the latest ones. If my memory serves me correctly, Bill Reis objected to him doing that. But, I do know that all the other magazines before that were indexed. If you need info on contacting Frank, get back to me and I'll try to hunt it down. From what I am reading though, you may want something already computer compatible. I don't believe that Frank's stuff is. Carlb

I am currently indexing all magazines that I have. I have most of LC&SJ since day one. Since the index is for my use, I figure I do not need anyones permission to create one. I am listing all articles, whether or not they include a pattern, the magazine info, author, page, up to 3 categories and a comment field. I feel as if I am missing something. That's why I'd like to see what someone else has come up with.

Mike

I am currently indexing all magazines that I have. I have most of LC&SJ since day one. Since the index is for my use, I figure I do not need anyones permission to create one. I am listing all articles, whether or not they include a pattern, the magazine info, author, page, up to 3 categories and a comment field. I feel as if I am missing something. That's why I'd like to see what someone else has come up with.

Mike

Mike, I understand what you are trying to do. I wasn't insinuating that you may be doing anything against anyones wishes. What I said was that Frank Zigon has cataloged, indexed, or whatever you want to call it for all the past issues of Leather craft magazines from the very first magazine some 40 + or - years ago. What I don't know if he ran into a road block with the LC&SJ. I seem to recollect that Bill Reis objected to him doing this because they wanted to reserve the right to do this and sell the indices. Anyhow, the email address that I have for Frank Zigon is email. At least, that is what it was a couple of years ago when I last corresponded with him. If you need it and are intertested, I believe that I can come up with his snail mail address. Carlb

Edited by ClayB
to hide an email address

Thanks, I am still working on mine. It keeps getting revised before I can get through it. The categories keep getting reworked. I plan to be able to easily search my index for authors, items, patterns, etc. Right now I'm using MS-Excel and/or OpenOffice.org Calc. When I get smart enough, I might try putting it into a real database.

I'm also trying to locate issues I'm missing.

Mike

Mike, Give me a list of the magazines that you are looking for. A widow of a former O-MI-O leather Guild member is trying to get rid of some that he had. Carl

PS If you want to do this off list, email me.

I'll send you an email when I get home after work.

Thank you,

Mike

PS I don't have much money but perhaps I could make something for you. :)

Edited by Mike