Creed

newest completed, please critique

Ok, so here is the third and hopefully final (for a while anyway) small of back holster made for my cousins. My edges are better than the last, still need work though. I personally think my stitching pattern is too busy in the middle, but it was a cover up for a miss placed (aka I zoned out) punch. I stained it with fiebings dark brown and sealed it with atomic wax. Before you say anything about the un-even dye job and the dark imperfection spots, I did that on purpose because I like them to look old.....ever see that kid at school who hated his new white shoes and purposely got them dirty cause he didn't like them to look new? yea, that was me ;)

Justin

2272804900059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2834254150059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2925551840059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2426456330059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2853988760059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2395353830059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2645559240059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

The two main issues I see with your current design:

1) There is not enough room to get a full grip on the pistol before the draw begins. This is a MUST for concealed carry holsters. You just need to cut a little more leather next time so the trigger is fully covered but the bottom of the trigger guard is bare for at lest the width of a finger.

2) The stitching on the tunnel loop doesn't line up with the rear belt loop so you probably won't be able to thread a belt through it. You need to line the loops, stitching and slots up so a stiff belt is able to pass through without binding.

Other than that you might also consider taping a dowel rod on top of the slide before you form the next holster so the front sight doesn't drag, which can impede the draw and also obstruct the front sight with leather shavings.

Keep at it and you'll get things figured out.

The two main issues I see with your current design:

1) There is not enough room to get a full grip on the pistol before the draw begins. This is a MUST for concealed carry holsters. You just need to cut a little more leather next time so the trigger is fully covered but the bottom of the trigger guard is bare for at lest the width of a finger.

2) The stitching on the tunnel loop doesn't line up with the rear belt loop so you probably won't be able to thread a belt through it. You need to line the loops, stitching and slots up so a stiff belt is able to pass through without binding.

Other than that you might also consider taping a dowel rod on top of the slide before you form the next holster so the front sight doesn't drag, which can impede the draw and also obstruct the front sight with leather shavings.

Keep at it and you'll get things figured out.

Thank you for the suggestions! I was very worried about the slot and tunnel not lining up, however I test fitted it with my belt and the owners belt to make sure it would work, granted neither of us have stiff gun belts. It was defiantly a design flaw.....I got caught up in worrying about creating clearance for the mag release and did not follow may pattern enough. As for the grip, I think you are right on the money there, this one is a improvement over my last one, so maybe the next one will be better lol (hopefully). I'll have to try the dowel rod for sight clearance, I've got leftovers from making my burnishing tool.

Thanks for the insight.

Justin

As usual, BOOMSTICK has given you sound advice. I would also suggest bringing the rear slot closer to the trigger guard to assist in bringing the grip into the users back and to help prevent some roll (especially since you're not using a heavy gunbelt). Still, lookin good!

As usual, BOOMSTICK has given you sound advice. I would also suggest bringing the rear slot closer to the trigger guard to assist in bringing the grip into the users back and to help prevent some roll (especially since you're not using a heavy gunbelt). Still, lookin good!

thank you for your input and you are right on about he slot, the one I made for his brother's sigma wrapped further and it did hold tighter to the body.

Thanks,

Justin