CustomDoug

Oblong Punches / Crew Punches ?

I'm looking to purchase a set of punches that will allow me to neatly pass a flat leather strap through a closely size elongated hole... from very narrow up to about an inch or so I guess.

I see them called oblong punches and sometimes "crew punches" - are these the same things? Anyone have recommendations for a good set? A source for for buying them individually or as a set? TIA.

Doug C

Hey there Doug.

C.S.Osborne are one of the better quality punch makers in the world. There are some cheaper ones around but if you buy these they will last a lifetime.

All of there tools and punches etc are very good

http://www.csosborne.com/

Cheers Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Thanks Trevor, I don't find a description of how they are made.. do you know if those are forged? I think some punches have a welded seem that can become weak.

Doug C

Doug.

I have both. The ones that are welded are well used and will never break. These are "Crew" punches welded to a steel shaft.

The others are 1 piece forged and will also last a lifetime. These are better.

The CS Osbourne ones are forged.

Cheers

Trevor

post-2565-0-20440500-1418585775_thumb.jp

the new Osborne oblong punch that I bought recently, was very DULL out of the box

You might also check here. Brettun's Village offers a wide variety of punches, individually and sets. The page linked doesn't show the oblong or 'bag punch', but they do have them listed on another section of the site. I'd suggest calling and telling them what you're after.