RoosterShooter

Where Can I Find 'oddball' Oblong Punches?

I'm looking for an oblong punch that cuts a notch 1 7/16" Long by 1/2" Wide.

Does anyone make specialty punches?

Thanks

Brettun's Village has a wide selection, and 1 7/16ths IS listed on the round punches, for $60. They have a hot link for oblong/slot punches, but it goes to the round punches....probably best to call them and see what they have:

Brettuns Village Leather
557 Lincoln St
Lewiston, ME 04240
Phone: (207)782-7863 or toll free for orders only: 1-877-LEATHAH
Fax: (207)782-7448 FAX

I've only ordered from them once (rivet splasher) and true to the advertising on the page, what you see is what you pay....including shipping. I ordered, and had the rivet splasher in two days.

Rooster, . . . you need two things: 1) a piece of 2 inch, galvanized, electrical metallic tubing, commonly known as EMT or thin-wall conduit, . . . and 2) a piece of flat stock steel, 1/2 inch thick, . . . 2 inches wide at the top, . . . 1 inch wide at the bottom, . . . and about 5 or 6 inches long.

Look at the drawing, . . . on the right, . . . take the conduit to a belt sander and sharpen it like the image at the right, . . .

Next take the flat stock steel, . . . round the long edges on a grinder or belt sander so they also have a 1/2 inch radius, rounded edge.

Put the sharpened end of the EMT in a vise, . . . start squeezing it down, . . . insert the steel piece and keep moving it in as the conduit takes on an oval shape.

When you have almost gotten it done, . . . take the pipe, . . . lay the punch end on an anvil, . . . have someone hold the other end, . . . while you continue hammering and forming the punch end, . . . using the 1/2 inch piece of steel to keep it from collapsing. Keep it in the punch and hammer with a flat faced steel hammer.

I've made a number of punches this way, . . . for different sizes, . . . the one you want should come out very close to that size with 2 inch EMT.

Takes about 1/2 hour.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-42697100-1418646505_thumb.jp