Sign in to follow this  
aspanol

How To Flatten After Folding The Leather For Card Cases?

I'm not real sure what your asking. But if you want to know how to make them stay folded i put some weight on them and sometimes take rubber bands and put on them.

If it's a business card case, I make sure to put in a shallow gouge line inside, then after tooling and dying, while it's still a little damp from the dye, I fold it and put a little weight on it. The stitching then takes care of keeping it tight.

When I cut out the leather for the business card holder, I use my "V-gouge" and run a shallow groove across the center on what will be the inside of the case (see illustration). This allows you to get a tighter fold since you've removed some of the leather. Hope this helps.

post-14241-070709700 1292164939_thumb.jp

<br />When I cut out the leather for the business card holder, I use my "V-gouge" and run a shallow groove across the center  on what will be the inside of the case (see illustration).  This allows you to get a tighter fold since you've removed some of the leather.  Hope this helps.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I do get what you mean but what tools are we talking about to do the gouge?

I use a creaser while the card case is still damp from dye, fold it over and then use a small wooden wallpaper roller to press it down. You have to be careful while rolling as you can put some unwanted marks in the leather, though.

I use the Tandy adjustable V-Gouge. I use my straight edge and just run it along side for a nice straight line. I use it a lot since it is adjustable and makes any depth groove in any thickness of leather.

<br /><br /><br />

I do get what you mean but what tools are we talking about to do the gouge?

Hi aspanol! Welcome to the forum. I really hope that you don't take this wrong, but it think that it would be a great investment on your part to buy a book or two on basic leatherwork an construction. Tandy and others have wonderful books that will give you great information to get you "up to speed" on basic tools and their uses, how to sharpen them and easy projects that allow you to put the tools and information to use while practicing.

Again, don't take this wrong- I simply thought that based on your questions that you could use some basic fundamentals to speed up your learning curve.

We've ALL been there- stay with it- Were behind you! And make sure that your post ALL of your work- we're here to help one another.

Merry Christmas!

pete

Hi aspanol! Welcome to the forum. I really hope that you don't take this wrong, but it think that it would be a great investment on your part to buy a book or two on basic leatherwork an construction. Tandy and others have wonderful books that will give you great information to get you "up to speed" on basic tools and their uses, how to sharpen them and easy projects that allow you to put the tools and information to use while practicing.

Again, don't take this wrong- I simply thought that based on your questions that you could use some basic fundamentals to speed up your learning curve.

We've ALL been there- stay with it- Were behind you! And make sure that your post ALL of your work- we're here to help one another.

Merry Christmas!

pete

Thanks pete. I would love to get some books! However, i don't live in the states. I actually live in this small country known as singapore. We have ZERO ACCESS to leather crafting and that sucks. Therefore, my only teachers are you guys! i really learned a lot from you guys though! Thanks!!