Sign in to follow this  
Curbstrap2

English or Western

I volunteer some time for the local chamber of commerce/visitor center. I take calls for tourist information, lodging, local dining, area activities and events.

This morning, I was speaking to a man who was trying to plan a surprise getaway weekend for him and his girlfriend.

I found him a lovely bed and breakfast and a nice restaurant for dinner.

He then asked me about area activities and inquired about horseback riding.

I told him about 2 places that offered public trail riding with rentals by the hour.

Him: Whats the BEST place as we are quite experienced!

Me: Do you prefer English or Western?

Him: What's the difference?

Well, he IS quite experienced...at being an idiot! LOL.

I volunteer some time for the local chamber of commerce/visitor center. I take calls for tourist information, lodging, local dining, area activities and events.

This morning, I was speaking to a man who was trying to plan a surprise getaway weekend for him and his girlfriend.

I found him a lovely bed and breakfast and a nice restaurant for dinner.

He then asked me about area activities and inquired about horseback riding.

I told him about 2 places that offered public trail riding with rentals by the hour.

Him: Whats the BEST place as we are quite experienced!

Me: Do you prefer English or Western?

Him: What's the difference?

i notice when it comes to horseback riding, alot of people over state their qualifications. usually a test ride will show what they do and dont know.

A quote from a book by Major Francis Dwyer, published in 1869: “It must be confessed, indeed, that is most usually a very thankless office to offer any man that rides anything like advice, however well meant and sound, on anything concerning his horse, bridle, saddle or seat. The great majority would much more patiently tolerate very decided expressions of doubt as to their mental or moral qualifications, if only conveyed with a certain amount of tact, than the slightest imputation of want of knowledge or skill in things pertaining to horsemanship.” Some things never change I guess...

i notice when it comes to horseback riding, alot of people over state their qualifications. usually a test ride will show what they do and dont know.

lol! people like that crack me up. I was in Italy once with a bunch of people on a trek. One guy in the group was this little Italian guy from Brooklyn who claimed he owned a horse back in the US. On the trek we came to a grassy meadow where our guide said would be a nice place for a canter, there was also a bank and a ditch for those of us who wanted to jump.

We went out in pairs so we would avoid the mayhem of galloping in a group. I got paired with the Italian guy. My horse and I hit off on a nice collected canter and we are a few strides out when I look over my shoulder to see this guy leaning way forward on the horses neck yelling "come on RUN! RUN!" the horse figured it out and took off like a bat outta hell and headed right for the bank/ditch combination. I'm thinking 'no freakin way is he gonna attempt that and survive'. The horse is coming up too fast and without any collection, loses its footing in a muddy patch and goes down. The guy flies off, over the horses head and smacks head first into the bank and slides down into the mud at the bottom.

Thank God he was wearing a helmet. He was sore the next day but not hurt. At dinner that night he confessed to the rest of us that he has fallen off at least once in every country he has ever ridden in. The guide suggested (in broken English) that he might consider another hobby....or riding lessons.

Curbstrap2 that is one funny story. I can see that guy flying into the bank...LOL.

When i had a shop in town. Two guys came in to look at some headstalls. I asked them what kind of horse they had. They huddled togeather and said they had a girl horse. I kept a straight face and went on explaing about the different types of headstalls. Thats the best story i have.

Curbstrap2 that is one funny story. I can see that guy flying into the bank...LOL.

When i had a shop in town. Two guys came in to look at some headstalls. I asked them what kind of horse they had. They huddled togeather and said they had a girl horse. I kept a straight face and went on explaing about the different types of headstalls. Thats the best story i have.

A Girl Horse? hahahahahahaaa! I'm envisioning sarah jessica parker. http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sarah_Jessica_Parker

The Uncyclopedia site is pretty neat. Today was the first time i ever been there.

The Uncyclopedia site is pretty neat. Today was the first time i ever been there.

lol! Its hilarious and fairly out there. I hope no one found it too offensive. :whistle: