Girl

Goods Japan Pricking Iron?

Well, I got my new irons today. I 'think' I'm excited? I'm sure there is a learning curve for EVERYTHING! So...what am I doing wrong? My stitching was nice and straight with my old punch, now it's all messed up? But I'm stitching the same way? The red is the new iron, the white is the old iron. In their pictures Online, it's straight, so...it's got to be me!

Thanks for your help! :)

post-48636-0-82930400-1401914741_thumb.j

post-48636-0-36834000-1401914749_thumb.j

you need to watch Nigel Armitage's saddle stitching in detail video on youtube a couple times or so. you're not doing your stitch exactly the same way on every single stitch. that's why it doesn't look right.

your old iron might've masked that your stitching was being done inconsistently. hard to tell since i don't know what you were using for the old one.

You are not using the same direction on every stitch. Always the same thread to the left/over the other thread and so on. you are switching up which thread is on which side.

Yep, your right! I guess I wasn't being careful? It's much better now that I've practiced a bit. :). Since these holes are much thinner, can you separate the waxed thread? Like embroidery floss? Or, doesn't that mess up the thread? I don't think the place I get my stuff even has thinner thread?

Most of the time you can not cleanly separate the threads. Just buy machine thread in the size you want and way it with beeswax. Most prewaxed thread has way to much wax on it and many are waxed with paraffin instead of beeswax.

That sounds like a good idea. Can you buy regular sewing machine thread, or do you have to buy those bigger cone one? I think I will try that next. I have loads of sewing machine thread, but that might be a bit too weak?

Thank you...for your help! ;)

Weakness is not the issue, appearance is. One of the biggest issues with buying big thread is that it usually does not come in small spools.

Ah, okay, great! I will give it a try! Thanks so much!!!

I agree with LTC. Here is a direct link to Nigel's saddle stitch video:

I've watched it 5 or 6 times at least. Fantastic reference. Much like with sharpening and honing edges, there's a ton of garbage on YouTube related to the saddle stitch. Nigel is the best I've seen.

For the record, I really want to get my hands on the Joseph Dixon pricking irons.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dcobranding

Here's an updated version of Nigel's saddle stitching video: