Spider

Singer 319...

I just got a Singer 319 and don't really know anything about sewing machines. I am mechanically gifted....sortof but could use some info. Any info would be appreciated...i.e. tuning it up, cleaning, using...anything please. I am really excited about sewing and hope to be able to add this to my leatherworking supplies.

Thank you, :deadhorse:

These 5 pages have a lot of info, including how to beef it up, and what NOT to do on leather:

http://7sew.com/singer/319w_hand_crank/index.html

Hi Spider,

If you have a 319 (it has little keys on the top) it is a home machine and is primarily for fabric up to about a flat felled seam in denim (about 4 layers). You can probably use it for very light leather with a leather needle. It may look industrial, but it isn't even close. It doesn't have a heavy motor and with much heavy duty use will go bye-bye, the foot pedals go away with a lot of use, but they are all over and interchange between a lot of models. Motors and pedals can be replaced with newer and sometimes bigger units. For everyday fabric jobs or garment leather it is ok, don't push it too hard with veg tan though.

I've seen black ones and gray; the black are older.

Art

I just got a Singer 319 and don't really know anything about sewing machines. I am mechanically gifted....sortof but could use some info. Any info would be appreciated...i.e. tuning it up, cleaning, using...anything please. I am really excited about sewing and hope to be able to add this to my leatherworking supplies.

Thank you, :deadhorse:

These 5 pages have a lot of info, including how to beef it up, and what NOT to do on leather:

http://7sew.com/singer/319w_hand_crank/index.html

Very very cool rdb. thank you. This will help.

Hi Spider,

If you have a 319 (it has little keys on the top) it is a home machine and is primarily for fabric up to about a flat felled seam in denim (about 4 layers). You can probably use it for very light leather with a leather needle. It may look industrial, but it isn't even close. It doesn't have a heavy motor and with much heavy duty use will go bye-bye, the foot pedals go away with a lot of use, but they are all over and interchange between a lot of models. Motors and pedals can be replaced with newer and sometimes bigger units. For everyday fabric jobs or garment leather it is ok, don't push it too hard with veg tan though.

I've seen black ones and gray; the black are older.

Art

Art, I knew you would have the answers along with all the other knowledgable people here. Yeah, I actually just want to do garment leather with this. Bags and that kinda stuff. Maybe a 2 or 3 oz? I will still hate stitching and lacing but know where their strength and place is on a project. Thank you very much.

How about maintenance?

P.S. Mine is tan...

Edited by Spider

Hi Spider,

Chrome tan will not be a problem, however with thicker veg tan you might have to "hand wheel" it. The machine is fairly strong and might take a little adjusting to run anything over size 46 or 69 thread, maybe 92. Like I said before, the motors are the weak point. Maintenance of any sewing machine is fairly simple, keep the lint and crud out of the hook and oil everything that slides and grease everything that has gears. Not a lot, a little oil or grease will do. Check for burrs in the thread path and smooth them with emery cloth/cord or real fine wet/dry paper. Learn how to time the machine so when you knock it out you can fix it.

Art

Very very cool rdb. thank you. This will help.

Art, I knew you would have the answers along with all the other knowledgable people here. Yeah, I actually just want to do garment leather with this. Bags and that kinda stuff. Maybe a 2 or 3 oz? I will still hate stitching and lacing but know where their strength and place is on a project. Thank you very much.

How about maintenance?

P.S. Mine is tan...

Hi Spider,

Chrome tan will not be a problem, however with thicker veg tan you might have to "hand wheel" it. The machine is fairly strong and might take a little adjusting to run anything over size 46 or 69 thread, maybe 92. Like I said before, the motors are the weak point. Maintenance of any sewing machine is fairly simple, keep the lint and crud out of the hook and oil everything that slides and grease everything that has gears. Not a lot, a little oil or grease will do. Check for burrs in the thread path and smooth them with emery cloth/cord or real fine wet/dry paper. Learn how to time the machine so when you knock it out you can fix it.

Art

Art, Once again, YOU ROCK!!! :clapping:

Thank you