CTaylorJr

Broke My Granite Slab!

I have truly lived up to my nickname in the last couple of weeks! In the last 12 days I have broken 2 hammer handles, chipped my favorite fuller tool, and broken my granite slab!

I also make knives and have been given the moniker of Thor from a few friends because of the stuff I do with metal and the fact that my wife tends to take more pics of me with a hammer in hand than she does when I'm doing detail work.... But, I digress....

2 nights ago I had a piece of 8oz leather, nicely cased, on the slab and was tapping away like a happy guy. Just after rotating the piece I tapped once more and heard a strange sound. The sound was the 3" x 18" x 18" slab breaking almost into 2 perfect halves! As I was sitting there with a dumbfounded look on my face the wife walked out into the shop and asked what was wrong. I told her that I had broken my granite slab. Now, being the loving and caring wife she is, she replied with; "good job Thor!"

My reply was something along the line of "it wasn't my fault".... She giggled a bit and left me to weep.

I've had this piece of granite for around 10 years. I bought it at a liquidation sale that was happening at a small environmental lab that was going out of business.

Why did I post this? I figured you folks wouldn't giggle at me and then leave...

Charlie

Granite as hard and as heavy as it is, it's still brittle and will chip and break. You can get a surface plate from Enco or Grizzly tool for a fair price. It's the shipping that will get ya. Sometimes Enco has free shipping on the smaller ones under 75 pounds. No laughing at you from my end. http://www.grizzly.com/search/search.aspx?q=surface%20plates

Edited by dirtclod

Sorry to hear that your granite slab decide to split from you 8-)

I went from granite to plexiglass and now use a 3/4 inch piece that cover my complete workbench 18" X 36".

BillB

giggle. :cheers:

Got new granite today! Not lab quality, but would look great on a kitchen counter! :evillaugh:

A friend has a neighbor that does counter tops and he brought me quite a few pieces of different sizes.

Happy again!

Charlie

If the old one was a surface plate, the remaining halves will still have some value, as well as for stamping.

If the old one was a surface plate, the remaining halves will still have some value, as well as for stamping.

Definitely saved the pieces. One is in use on the back table for small items and the other is being used for my height gauge that I use to find/mark center on my knife blades prior to grinding. Still a couple of viable pieces of rock.

Charlie