calanneh

Off to Fall Camp Friday nite....

I will be teaching the Leatherwork Merit Badge to abotu 15 Boy Scouts over the next 5 days. Instead of letting them use kits, I am having htem cut their projects from scratch and punch the holes themselves.

I made 6 different patterns for them to pick from; all involve punching & stitching by hand.

I will get some pix of the guys working on their projects and post them next week when I get back.

Wish me luck!!!

William

Have fun!

Have fun!

Well I just found out it will be 13 Scouts in 1 session...so it will be loads of fun!!!! :head_hurts_kr:

hehehe

I will have 3 assistants, 2 that I know have done a good bit of leatherwork in the past and one that has done nothing. He will be earnign the merit badge while he is helping.

Yall have a good weekend and I'll post pix Tuesday evening!

William

I survived!!!!

Hey folks! I'm back and we had a blast!!! I actually got all but 1 Scout thru the entire Merit Badge. He had to leave camp early and missed the last day... :(

The attached photo is a group shot we did on the last day of class. You can see the Scouts holding their projects (mostly knife cases or coin wallets) and a leather walking stick grip I made for each of them as a class souviner. The grip has the Camp K brand on it.

I had 3 assistants; my son (big moose in back holding his brand upside down), the Boy Scout in back on my right and a Girlie Scout standing in front of me. They were all a huge help!

I can't wait to go back next year and do it again!!!! I was so excited when one of the boys told me this was his favorite merit badge class he had ever taken!!!!!!!!!

If you want to see more pix from the class go to my Facebook album at the following link. It should be public so everybody can view it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3145...p;id=1632283152

William

LW_class_2008.JPG

post-6419-1227704203_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to go back next year and do it again!!!! I was so excited when one of the boys told me this was his favorite merit badge class he had ever taken!!!!!!!!!

It looks like your boys had a great time.

I've got a Pack of Cubs now. We made leather "Progres Towards Rank" replacements for the lead-based (and recalled) ones the BSA put out. I did the cutting and gouging, but they did all the stamping. It worked out great and they had fun doing it as well. I might attempt to hold a class at day camp this summer, any ideas for Cubs?

Thanks,

Dave

It looks like your boys had a great time.

I've got a Pack of Cubs now. We made leather "Progres Towards Rank" replacements for the lead-based (and recalled) ones the BSA put out. I did the cutting and gouging, but they did all the stamping. It worked out great and they had fun doing it as well. I might attempt to hold a class at day camp this summer, any ideas for Cubs?

Thanks,

Dave

There is a great book by Tandy Leather that is made for boys. It is "Kidcraft Leathercraft Book", Item #66070-00.

It has patterns and stuff that should work great!

Let me know if you get it or if you want help coming up with more patterns. If you want, PM me and we can discuss things I learned (the hard way) about teaching leatherwork to the younger guys...LOL

William

Great thanks!

One thing I very quickly learn is while Cubs are good and enthusiastic about pounding on something (anything for that matter), their aim ain't great....so while you may be tempted in helping them hold the tool steady......keep your hand (and feet, head, arms, other children, anything breakable) FAR away!