Hi,

I've been looking for a way to sell some of my work and I looked at Craigslist's "terms" page. Like any other agreement you look at it takes an attorney to understand it. Seems like they may charge fees and they want your credit card numbers so they can do it when they want. This has me scared to go any further.....has anybody else here used Craigslist?

Thanks!

Dano

Craigslist gets a bad rep, to some degree deservedly. It's got its share of scammers but you get to know what to look for. You just have to be careful.

As far as I know, they don't charge fees for anything, so not sure why they're asking for a credit card number. I don't remember giving a cc when I signed up.

If you have any specific concerns, pm me and I'll tell you what I can.

I've not encountered ANY fees or ever been asked for a credit card....I'd be careful...I'd use Ebay rather than Craigslist anyway. Ebay is safer. Good Luck

Thanks for the replies, what has me worried is this part I'm going to copy and paste here from the Terms of Use line 7 Fees.....

7. FEES

CL may charge a fee to post content or for other features, products, services or licenses. You are responsible to CL for any fees applicable to content that you post or other features, products, services or licenses you purchase or that are purchased through your account. You authorize CL, or its designated payment processor, to charge your specified credit card, debit card or other payment method for such fees.

On their home page the "terms of use" section is highlighted "new".

Dano

Craigslist is free. The only thing they charge for is "jobs" and "homes for sale", and I think that is only in certian cities. Craigslist is where you sell local, ebay is where you sell things you are going to mail.

The Craigslist scammers will offer to send you money and you send out a product in the mail, usually over sea. They send you too much, to cover shipping and then have you refund back the extra. the cretified check will bounce, after about 2 months and then the bank will pull the money back from your account. You loose your item, the shipping you paid and the money you sent the person as a refund. The only thing the scammers want is the refund.

I have both bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on Craigslist, I have never had an issue. But, I do it locally. It is not a good place to try to sell crafts, it is a good place to sell your used bicycle.

Ya, what electra said. I use craigslist mainly for stuff that's big or heavy that I don't want to have to package and ship.

People do the "I'll send you extra to cover shipping" scam, the trying to pay with money order scam, "I'm out of the country but will send my agent blah blah blah" scam. There's a bunch of them. But the most common one is they mass email people a generic message saying something to the effect of; "Is it your item for is to sell. I will want to buy it" so you respond and wind up on a mailing list or start getting offers every day that you won a free ipad if you just click on "the link". I think it's called phishing? I call it, people have too much time on their hands.

I put in all my ads now..."Please mention the item by name when you message me or the email will be deleted. Thank you."

It doesn't stop the fake emails but you don't miss as many honest buyers who don't think to say more than "I'll buy it". It's not foolproof and I'm sure I've missed honest buyers but I delete anything that's too generic. I asked my brother how he can tell which emails are scams and which aren't and he told me I'll get to know with more experience. He was right, you'll learn to spot the fakes for the most part. Just be careful.

FWIW, Ebay is a royal PITA. I've used it since 1997. Over the years it cost more and more to sell on there. Listing fees, selling fees, Paypal fees. By the time you get done you take a 10-15% hit on your item. It is one of the only viable avenues at the moment though. I would try Ebay to get a launch on my own WEB site. That way customers start to find out they can get from you direct. You have to set up a Paypal account with Ebay, that you can use for your own WEB Site.

Jon

CL is free, and I have bought and sold a lot of nonleather stuff on it, other than buying leather, and tools off of it.

I try not to use Epay, nor Paypal due to their anti firearm policies. And if you don't know, Epay owns Paypal. It does work for some, and my old business partner has an Epay store for motorcycle parts, and accessories. Even with the fees, around 30%, he says it is still less expensive than operating a brick and mortar store; rent ,utilities, etc