Sign in to follow this  
raptor0192

Is This A Saddle Vise?

Hello,

We are working to clean out my grandfather's property, since he passed away in June. I found this item, and I think it is a saddle vise, but not sure. It is stamped with "Buffalo Last Works". Please take a look and let me know.

Thanks!

Ryan

post-34566-011736400 1346510330_thumb.jp

That is a stitching horse.....used for holding projects while lacing or stitching.

Yes, it is worth selling. It could be $25..it could be $100, but it is an art piece. Do not just trash it. Keep the memory going.

Well, I meant is it worth selling at something more than a garage sale for $5. I wouldn't just trash it.

While it's not from the 1800's, it does have some value as a working piece. Depending on how stable it is, not needing to be re-built, you should be able to sell it for a minimum of fifty dollars.

It's not from the 1800's? All of the items that we pulled from this section of the building were supposed to be from the 1800's. This stuff was put there in the 1950's and left there. They were items owned by my great-grandfather and earlier. How can you tell it is not from the 1800's?

While it's not from the 1800's, it does have some value as a working piece. Depending on how stable it is, not needing to be re-built, you should be able to sell it for a minimum of fifty dollars.

It actually seems very stable. And the vise is very tight, still. In the photo, it is still covered with dust and some bird crap, so it will clean up nicely, too.

Would it be worth a try trying to sell it to someone here on these forums, or should I just try ebay or at the estate auction? Is it anything someone here might really be interested in buying?

I think it depends on how much shipping would be, I think.

I for one would be interested!

I think it depends on how much shipping would be, I think.

Yeah, shipping would be a lot, I'd think, since it's so big. Not that heavy, just large in size.

A local pickup would be better for something like this. But if someone wants it enough, they'd pay the shipping, I guess. Finding a box for it wouldn't be fun, though....

Edited by raptor0192

Maybe I should clean it up and take some new pictures and upload into a new thread (with a title that makes more sense....Stitching Horse....are there other names for it?).

See if you can take it apart. Many of these older horses would allow for the legs to come off. The "jaws" also could be lifted off. That makes shipping a lot different. All the PARTS lay down and the box is not so big.

Just a thought to help.

And yes, it is a stitching horse, and a good one.

See if you can take it apart. Many of these older horses would allow for the legs to come off. The "jaws" also could be lifted off. That makes shipping a lot different. All the PARTS lay down and the box is not so big.

Just a thought to help.

And yes, it is a stitching horse, and a good one.

I'll go back over to the house and look to see if it's able to be taken apart. The legs may have been permanently attached, but I'll see. And clean it at the same time.

Did anyone ever hear of the "Buffalo Last Works" company or brand?