ejcrist

Button Rivets

I'm thinking about installing a solid brass Sam Brown 1/2" button and washer (Tandy 1309-01) for my next hunting holster strap rather than a snap because the button/washer is a lot quieter when opening. I saw on the Tandy website it says to set with #8112-00 stud anvil, which I don't have. Can you just simply place the washer/bottom on an anvil and tap the top with a hard plastic mallet without damaging the button? I've never used a button rivet before so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

I'm thinking about installing a solid brass Sam Brown 1/2" button and washer (Tandy 1309-01) for my next hunting holster strap rather than a snap because the button/washer is a lot quieter when opening. I saw on the Tandy website it says to set with #8112-00 stud anvil, which I don't have. Can you just simply place the washer/bottom on an anvil and tap the top with a hard plastic mallet without damaging the button? I've never used a button rivet before so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

Not sure, but the tool is less than $3.50 even less if you're a club member. Additionally they sell buttons that use screws in the back. Get them instead, put some permanent thread locker on the threads and you don't have to get the tool.

Chief

I agree with Chief. THe method you want to use won't work. When doing the rivet back type of Sam Brown or button stud, you push the bur over the shaft and fit the burr tight against the leather then peen the end sticking out of the burr similar to doing a copper rivet. If you can't get get the stud anvil https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8112-00.aspx, if you have a scrap piece of hard wood like oak drill a hole the width of the button stud just deep enough for the button to sit down in. Then finsh mounting the button stud just as you would if you had the stud anvil.

Edited by camano ridge

I agree with Chief. THe method you want to use won't work. When doing the rivet back type of Sam Brown or button stud, you push the bur over the shaft and fit the burr tight against the leather then peen the end sticking out of the burr similar to doing a copper rivet. If you can't get get the stud anvil https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8112-00.aspx, if you have a scrap piece of hard wood like oak drill a hole the width of the button stud just deep enough for the button to sit down in. Then finsh mounting the button stud just as you would if you had the stud anvil.

Thanks Gents - appreciate the info. I'll just pick up the tool tomorrow so I can use both screw back and rivet type. I've got a few of each type. I tend to go overboard on tools, per my wife anyway, so I didn't want to buy something that wasn't necessary.

Gene