Sign in to follow this  
CWR

Bosal and sidepull

Here is a bosal and sidepull I just finished. The bosal is a 12 plait with a 8 bight heel knot worked to an o/u 4. The sidepull is 8 plait without a core. I need to work on my hand sewing. Let me know what you think. Any pointers will be welcome. Sorry for the picture quality.

Thanks,

CW

P3020125.JPG

P3020126.JPG

P3020132.JPG

P3020128.JPG

P3020130.JPG

post-5332-1236022489_thumb.jpg

post-5332-1236022512_thumb.jpg

post-5332-1236022590_thumb.jpg

post-5332-1236022631_thumb.jpg

post-5332-1236022826_thumb.jpg

Edited by CWR

Very nice job on the heel knot. I see on the nose button that you could have gone past your ends a little more so that it closed down on the rounds a little better. I have problems with that myself. On the side pull you might want to spend a little more time next time tightening up everything and rolling it out a little better. The braiding all looks straight and the strings look nice. Keep in mind I'm just a beginner myself so I may or may not know what the hell I'm talking about. Overall looks good. Keep up the good work.

Rob

CW everything looks good, you will get the little things straightened out in fine fashion if your work is on this level. I try and braid where I don't have to go back and do much tightening but I have to work back through most knots and tighten them up a bit anyhow! Just keep after it and you'll git 'er done!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Good looking stuff! I'd be proud to hang that bosal off my horse!

Thanks everyone for the comments. Its really good to get some feedback from guys who are doing the work.

Rob,

You are right on that nosebutton. After I got it done I was afraid it might pull over the foundations as it dried and I shaped it.

Thanks again.

CW

Very nice braiding! That pulling and sort of shrinking on the knots can be a problem... that can happen to anyone.

I have a very mild suggestion, and that would be on the browband, where you have sewed it, to bevel the end of the strap of leather so that the end blends in gradually with the rest. (I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not! I'm not very good at writing things down...) I think it's correct where it hooks up to the sidepull, to not bevel the ends there.

I would have called that sidepull a "jaquima" (pronounced, HA key ma) and I can tell you, those are pretty darn useful. I've got three or four myself. I really like them, especially for starting a horse in a bit.

Thanks Horsehairbraider. I thinned it down to about half thickness but should have gone down to a feather edge. Its the little things that make a difference.

CW