Abram

Mop-N-Glow, Kiwi, Fiebings And Evoo

Hey gang got a question. I finished a pancake holster this weekend and decided to try the mop-n-glo top coat. I dyed with fiebings and let it sit over night. I then applied a light coat of EVOO, let that soak in and then applied two coats of the 50/50 mixture of water and mop-n-glo. Once that had dried I buffed it using the kiwi neutral shoe polish. Everything was going okay until I decided to use the holster. Once I removed the holster it had what appeared to be white stress marks where it had flexed from wearing. Now these are are not solid marks but more of a speckled look. Do you think there was some interaction of the various dyes and oils? I may have over done it with EVOO and mop-n-glo top coat. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've never used the mop n glow method, however I've seen similar results with neat-lac in the spray can. I found that it was due to excess finish, I've since started working the neat-lac in with a piece of wool and then wipe off any excess.

Kevin

I would try to oil before dyeing....just a suggestion.

i also use a neutral kiwi at the end. if i don't put a heat gun to it, it hardens and leaves the white cracks. heat it with a lighter and then buff it with a brush. it should help

Tony

A was just talking to a retired army fellow. I was quizing him about a spit shine boot and he said he used Mop-n-Glo and I thought it funny at the time. I should rethink this and talk to him agian:yes: I'll get back to put more info on this if I see him again.

Hey gang got a question. I finished a pancake holster this weekend and decided to try the mop-n-glo top coat. I dyed with fiebings and let it sit over night. I then applied a light coat of EVOO, let that soak in and then applied two coats of the 50/50 mixture of water and mop-n-glo. Once that had dried I buffed it using the kiwi neutral shoe polish. Everything was going okay until I decided to use the holster. Once I removed the holster it had what appeared to be white stress marks where it had flexed from wearing. Now these are are not solid marks but more of a speckled look. Do you think there was some interaction of the various dyes and oils? I may have over done it with EVOO and mop-n-glo top coat. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

From the old grumpy guy: sounds like you overdid the Mop & Glo and maybe even the Kiwi.. The 50/50 is correct, but it needs to go on lightly. The first coat needs to go on DRY leather. EVOO my take 24 hours to even out throughout the leather. The Mop & Glo should penetrate so that there is no discernible finish on the leather, or very little. After drying, just one a very light coat to finish. Then the Kiwi. I use no applicator of any sort to apply the polish, other than a couple of fingers. Very light coat of the polish, rubbed in with the fingers to warm the stuff, then buff with a clean soft cloth. I mist the Mop & Glo on with an airbrush. Correctly done, the leather doesn't seem to have much of a finish, it just looks like a nice semi-gloss leather ..... no high sheen like plastic, but the Mop & Glo penetrates and the Kiwi buffs out to the nice semi-gloss. Moderation is the key. I've been using it for almost 50 years without problems. Mike

Edited by katsass

I've had similar results when I over applied the Kiwi. I typically warm the leather before applying the kiwi so that it penetrates a bit. Like ol' grumpy, I apply with fingers. If I can spread it with finger pressure, it's on too heavy. Keep it thin and light.

Thanks fellas. I took the holster and warmed it last night, not to hot just enough to buff the kiwi finish. The white is gone and the overall sheen has dulled down a bit, looks pretty goo . After reading the replies I suspect I was a bit too quick to apply the mop-n-glo and to heavy handed in using the mop-n-glo and kiwi. I am working on another holster right now but I think I will take some of my scrap pieces and work on applying my finishes before I dive into this one. Thanks again for all of the help.