Sign in to follow this  
Blazin

Custom Tool Pouch And Sheath Combo

Designed this for a guy and finally got it finished. Hadn't felt like working on it after a bad wreck we had and so the customer had to exercise some serious patience. We put the finishing touches on it today.

This main pocket of the pouch also contains a sheath built to hold the Lesche digging tool and and outer sheath for the Garrett pinpointer metal detector. Outer pouch is for valuable finds such coins, jewelry etc. Don't know why but this project was work. Still trying to get my corners right after wet forming a pouch. I have trouble with that.

223858_275926945845335_195327665_n.jpg

Do you wet form over an object like a wood block? Or just use a bone folder? I have used a block for some bag ends but they did not have 90 degree corners. I still think that it came out good. I am still reading books and tutorials and have at least figured out that it is not quite as easy they make it look. David

Yes David I wet formed both pouches over blocks of wood that I built. The problem I have is afterwords bringing the corners together and cutting the material so it fits ok. That small pouch came together nicely but the larger one that it rides on does have some tiny gaps down at the bottom. However in this application it was fine because it will allow dirt and debris to fall out of the pouch.

Looks great!! Just a thought, but why not cut the length of the "sides" (not including stitch area) of the pouch longer so the longer portion at bottom folds inward like a cardboard box and have the main flap and "bottom side" of the pouch (where you stitch it on) be one piece that folds around the side flaps, inside along the backing plate then up and over to create the flap? I'm sure this made no sense, but its hard to describe in words :).......

I don't cut the corners after forming over a block. I re-wet while still on the block and bone the crap out of them to get them down tighter. I still end up with an external pooch, but getting better.

Sometimes I leave the pooch and sew over it. For electronics, I think it pads the corner if dropped!

post-17065-011792300 1346349520_thumb.jp

post-17065-020583900 1346349658_thumb.jp

Blazin,

I think there is a usefulness to the open corners on a work rig like that! It probably makes it easier to clean if the guy's puttin dirty tools in it.

By the way, the folded over top on the big pouch is very nice.

Looks great!! Just a thought, but why not cut the length of the "sides" (not including stitch area) of the pouch longer so the longer portion at bottom folds inward like a cardboard box and have the main flap and "bottom side" of the pouch (where you stitch it on) be one piece that folds around the side flaps, inside along the backing plate then up and over to create the flap? I'm sure this made no sense, but its hard to describe in words :).......

Thanks for the post and idea! You_Rock_Emoticon.gif That is what I was going to try and do with both pouches, however I hand sew and it would be next to impossible being that I use a saddle stitch on all the gear I make to get my hand inside that smaller pouch to finish the sewing. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Blazin,

I think there is a usefulness to the open corners on a work rig like that! It probably makes it easier to clean if the guy's puttin dirty tools in it.

By the way, the folded over top on the big pouch is very nice.

Thanks Dirck, the folded over top of the pouch is actually oil tanned leather that I stitched onto the regular tooling leather to give it a nice smooth and bold rounded look. I really love the oil tanned leather for lining the backs of sheaths and other stuff but man is it expensive!