ozzie111

Unique Leather Carving Style, What Is It Called?

I am working on developing some patterns for carving based on older designs.

I am trying to do something different than Tandy designs, or Sheridan style designs.

I like some of the older Mexican styles.

I have found a very unique style that I am sure I pilfered from this site on another.

I have attached an image of the style, and am curious what this might be called.

Does anyone know where I might find some more examples of this?

If this is your work, I apologize for not giving credit, but I can't remember where I found it.

Also, I would love to see some photos of older/historic designs.

Thanks in advance.

Oz

post-6076-0-09342900-1402953787_thumb.jp

Sorry - I have no idea what it;s called - but I like it so I hope you find an answer. WOuld love to see more. It reminds me of the decorations on Day of the Dead/Sugar Skulls a little bit...

33nx7p2.jpg

I used Google image search with the terms "Mexican Folk Art" and found some stuff that had a similar feel. I'm not certain that this is the proper name for it, but maybe it will at least lead to the things you are looking for.

Edited by shtoink

Sorry - I have no idea what it;s called - but I like it so I hope you find an answer. WOuld love to see more. It reminds me of the decorations on Day of the Dead/Sugar Skulls a little bit...

33nx7p2.jpg

I thought people called these "candy skulls." Whatever they are called they are freakin awesome!

Probably both - yeah they are pretty cool - I love seeing them as tattoos too.

Candy sculls are a newer form of art, more pop art then folk art...( But borrowed from old Mexican art forms and periods...) .what you showed with the first picture is in my opinion an early California style ( before 1850 ) carving style....which had it roots from very early Spanish horse saddle ornamentation, the Spanish where very ornate in their leather work and by the time it came to North Mexico ( now California ) it had been scaled down du to lack of skills and time to a more simple carving style, yet still beautiful in its own way.

Later on, as we all know, different saddle shops founded certain carving styles and the Sheridian is the most known today!

Funny thing is, if you look real close to these carvings....you can almost see some European Rose maling styles in simple form...

Maybe due to the fact, European Imigrants brought these styles and used it later in leather work as art form...!

Candy sculls are a newer form of art, more pop art then folk art...( But borrowed from old Mexican art forms and periods...) .what you showed with the first picture is in my opinion an early California style ( before 1850 ) carving style....which had it roots from very early Spanish horse saddle ornamentation, the Spanish where very ornate in their leather work and by the time it came to North Mexico ( now California ) it had been scaled down du to lack of skills and time to a more simple carving style, yet still beautiful in its own way.

Later on, as we all know, different saddle shops founded certain carving styles and the Sheridian is the most known today!

Funny thing is, if you look real close to these carvings....you can almost see some European Rose maling styles in simple form...

Maybe due to the fact, European Imigrants brought these styles and used it later in leather work as art form...!

Let me add one more....if you look real close into early Navajo silver work, before 1870...you see the same dye stamping and ornamentation in silver....borrowed from the Navajos from the Spanish...lots of these design add ons are carried over into later Califorian leather carving and eventually into more modern stamping tools...

jimbob

I really like that style too. To my eye it does look like it is based on traditional Mexican artforms, but I'm no expert and I could be wrong. I do like the different way they've handled the linework in the flowers. I would like to know more about this style too.

Does anyone have any example photos of old Spanish or Mexican leather carving that they could post.

All I could find on google is contemporary stuff.

Edited by ozzie111

I kind of recognised the pattern, as mentioned in similarity to European Rose maling! :) This beautiful tooling may not have anything to do with it, but it's striking how similar they look :) (just a random link of patterns attatched: http://www.bunad-magasinet.no/index.php?id=4492188#.U6H_l_l_uhg

Hope you find if the pattern has a style-name :)

Eva

I'm not sure but I think that before this style took the route described by Jimbob it came from the moors, originating as embroidery work on blankets and covers

I'm not sure but I think that before this style took the route described by Jimbob it came from the moors, originating as embroidery work on blankets and covers

That is absolutly correct.....the Islamic culture ( Moors ) has an abandunce of floral and very geometric patterns and designs in their portfolio!!

Southern Spain was invaded over and over again in the 13 and 14 hundreds by Islamic tribes and actually these Islamic cultures staid for a long time in Southern Spain...( Alhambra (spelling))) these ornamentail details later on found their way into the Spanish silver and leather work....which was brought over to the new world by the mighty Spanish Armada...( other artistic items as blankets and such...)

So it didnt take long after the early Califoniation, that these floral elements where to be mixed and copied with rather European floral art forms.

Many German and other Western European imigrants where fond of lether craft and brought these here to the good 'ol USA, which they then used pattern of known floral art some of em rather simple in shape and form.

That is the reason we cant really find a comon name for these styles...they are after all a long lasting form of mixed floral art form imported into the new world as we know it....hey, just what they say...this country is a melting pot....humans and art alike...guess that's why we love it sooo much !!

I googled >> early spanish floral designs << BINGO...just about simular to what the first pic in this thread was...

Now you all got me hooked to do more research, haha...loving it !!!

If anybody ever seen the book of "packing iron" lots of beatiful early California slim jim holsters with exactly this style of carving...Spanish floral carving...

Jimboob...