Evo160K

Singer Not Feeding

Recently I purchased a 45K25 which was built in 1940. It wasn't sewing, but with the help of some fine people here on LW it was sewing well. Here's a sample in 9 0z veg tanned showing the range of stitch lengths.

post-52198-0-31423500-1416291660_thumb.j

I say "was sewing" because after feeling pretty good about the sample, I tried to see if it would sew 12 mm like the literature says. I must have done something wrong! The #25 needle deflected, hit the needle plate, broke itself and the plate, and now it's not feeding! Here are a couple of short videos showing the problem. Please excuse the orientation, I know less about computers than I do about sewing machines, and that's not much.

Video of 45K25 Feed Dog Problem IMG_3032.MOV

Video of 45K25 Feed Dog Problem (without foot) IMG_3030.MOV

I suspect something must have been shoved out of time. Would you be able to point me in the right direction to repair this problem, or best yet, provide a copy of the service manual. I will be happy to cover the costs. I've looked extensively and can't find a manual on any of the 45K's.

Thank you very much.

Sorry but the videos are a bit short. But when you say the needle hit plate it is most likely the needle bar that needs an adjustment.

The needle bar has 2 screws on a clamp, you have to loosen both and adjust the needle bar the way that the hook tip meets the needle scarf about 2.5mm above the needle eye within the needle scarf. But first check if the needle meets the hook as mentioned and them make an adjustment.

I can´t help very much with the feeding as I never worked on a 45K cylinder machine. I also have never seen a 45K service manual.

BTW - never let the feed dog rub on your presser foot. Either lift the foot or put some fabric or leather between them otherwise both will wear off and parts are expensive.

Recently I purchased a 45K25 which was built in 1940. It wasn't sewing, but with the help of some fine people here on LW it was sewing well. Here's a sample in 9 0z veg tanned showing the range of stitch lengths.

attachicon.gifSinger 45K25 sewing sample IMG_3035.JPG

I say "was sewing" because after feeling pretty good about the sample, I tried to see if it would sew 12 mm like the literature says. I must have done something wrong! The #25 needle deflected, hit the needle plate, broke itself and the plate, and now it's not feeding! Here are a couple of short videos showing the problem. Please excuse the orientation, I know less about computers than I do about sewing machines, and that's not much.

attachicon.gifVideo of 45K25 Feed Dog Problem IMG_3032.MOV

attachicon.gifVideo of 45K25 Feed Dog Problem (without foot) IMG_3030.MOV

I suspect something must have been shoved out of time. Would you be able to point me in the right direction to repair this problem, or best yet, provide a copy of the service manual. I will be happy to cover the costs. I've looked extensively and can't find a manual on any of the 45K's.

Thank you very much.

Al,

To me it looks like the feed dog is not moving mean it is set to a very small stitch. Move the stitch length to it's largest stitch and lets see what it does.

glenn

Hey Evo, so did you change the needle plate?? could you get a closer picture taken of your needle plate? it should not move up and down with the feed dog? maybe your feed dog is set too high. although when raised to its highest it should not touch your plate anyway. i would say it is a combination between the short stitch length and the high feed dog. this happened on a singer 18-2 of mine and the problem was the needle plate was worn down on one side and the feed dogs teeth were also worn and could not be lowered so the material kept coming back.

Shoepatcher, Jimi,

Turns out the stitch length lever was set wrong, and the needle plate was bent and hitting the feed dog. Good catch for both of you. Thank you, thank you very much.

I am trying to source a new plate and feed dog, any thoughts on where I should look? In the meantime I've straightened the plate, so I can limp by..

Would you mind explaining what a properly adjusted feed dog should look like with respect to the plate at the upper and lower limit, and where the presser foot and feed dog should be set? I'm trying to understand the relationship of the three pieces to get the correct feed. At this point, without documentation nor experience, I'm guessing. Thank you very much.

Edited by Evo160K

Jimi,

Good pictures, they help tremendously. Thank you. When the feed dog is totally up and the foot is totally down, how much space should there be between them?

The metal on your machine looks new, how do you get them to look so bright?

Thanks again Jimi.

Looks like about 3mm

Sorry i misunderstood that one?? when i let the foot down it rests on the feed dog

you mean this:post-32832-0-97430300-1416430437_thumb.j you can clean up the metal parts with a small wire brush in a drill.

Edited by jimi

Thank you Jimi. That's exactly what I was asking. A picture sure is worth a 1000 words, isn't it? I tried to send a PM yesterday through LW to the company in the link you posted above. Haven't received a reply. Frankly I couldn't tell if it went through. Thanks again Jimi, you've been a big help. I owe you.

Evo, it looks like you have a modified foot or one that is not for the 45k25? does it have any number on the side? have a look at the picture with the foot sewing the leather, you can see that the toe is longer. this could be another reason for it not feeding. it also looks like a right toe foot which will not feed if you use it with the normal feed dog. this is the plate and dog i had to make to use the right toe foot properly. you can check the feet numbers here, and in your other post there is a picture of the right toe presser with the plate and feed dog on top of a green book:

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K21,%2045K25,%2045K63,%20&%2045K78.pdf

Edited by jimi

post-32832-0-95537500-1416743865_thumb.jpost-32832-0-29093600-1416743892_thumb.jpost-32832-0-61281800-1416743910_thumb.jpost-32832-0-26337800-1416745009_thumb.jpost-32832-0-61856400-1416745019_thumb.jpost-32832-0-36146000-1416745032_thumb.jpost-32832-0-65125400-1416745042_thumb.j

Evo these 3 plates have been welded/brazed, just remember to take off all the sharp edges after you file and drill , especially the needle hole because that´s where the thread will pull through. if it finds a sharp edge it will fray or break. you see how close the scale is in the drawing to the original plate? you can see how they start to open and get larger in the first two pictures, this is due to the constant pulling through of thread and the needle hitting and rubbing too. the next one is newer and almost exact to the drawing.

Edited by jimi

Thanks Jimi. Nice plates you made. If I don't find a replacement plate, I'll have to weld/braze the one I have or make one. Jimi, would it be possible for you to email a full size copy of the page from that wonderful book you're using for reference, or is that book available for copy somewhere? Thank you for all of your help.

Hi Evo, look up the same place as before and you will find the parts manuals there.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/index.htm

then click on-support-parts book-singer-model nº and away you go. this is what i used for my 45k21 needle plate and feed dog as i dont have that parts manual.YET? the one in the picture is for the 45k1 etc they are the flat bed versions not the cylinder bed like yours. so in the end did you have a modified foot on??? or a right toe with the normal feed dog?? this wont feed the material! by the way i did not make these plates in the last picture, the only one i got welded was the small plate for the 17-10.

Edited by jimi

Thank you Jimi. I understand now about the plate. I'll have mine repaired and see if I can make one for a spare. The foot is a singer, I'm not sure if it started as a right foot or not. It definitely appears to have been modified. It and the properly adjusted roller foot feed well. Thanks again Jimi.