New seats

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while. Here is my first showing off post. Comments welcome good or bad.

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

David Theobald

Thanks to all,

I appreciate the kind words.....I've been tooling about a year; I have no one around here from whom I can learn.....so sites like these are vital to a newbie like me.

Dave Theobald

Hi Dave,

About time you quit lurking and came out in the open. Glad you made it over here. Like I said before, love your seats, gorgeous.

Shirley Z

Ok, what is it with you people and motor cycle seats? Shirley has been carving for a year and a half and Dave for a year and you both do some really great work!!! I really like seeing the designs you come up with that are so different than the traditional carving designs that have been around for so long. And the lacing really dresses them up too.

I hope you both continue to share pictures of your work.

Clay

IMG_0333.JPGHi Clay,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you find our work interesting. I think the nature of our art work probably has something to do with how we came to leather carving. Me? I was making knives and decided to make a few sheaths to store them. When my son saw the sheaths, he asked me to try to make him a seat for his motorcycle that he was building. Well I made 4 seats....three of them were really bad....the last try turned out pretty nice. It was a copy of the tattoo that he has on his arm.... A king of Hearts. When my son's boss at the custom bike shop where he worked saw the seat, he asked me to make a seat for a show bike that they were building for the Easyriders show coming up in one month. That was my first sale....there have been about 50 since then. Yes, that means I don't have time to do much other than bike seats.....Anyway many if not most of the artwork resembles tattoo art rather than traditional cowboy leatherwork. It makes for some interesting seats.

Here is another tattoo seat. This one is on the Boss's arm. Well, that is how this whole thing started for me.

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it" ha ha

Dave Theobald

post-327-1168783489_thumb.jpg

Shirley,

Thanks for the nice words, we definately have a mutual admiration thing going here. Your work is beautiful.

Dave

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your story. I find the work you are doing inspired by tattoo work really interesting. This seat is really nice! Doing portraits on leather is supposed to be really difficult, didn't anyone tell you that???

Is there any chance I could see a bigger picture. I'd like to see how you did the details. And one last question (for now) do you have a site somewhere that shows more of your work? I for one would like to see more!

Clay

Hi Clay,

I'll look around for a larger version of that seat....

meanwhile

try looking at www.photobucket.com and then do a search for patillserve That's me

Thanks again for the positive comments.

Dave Theobald

Very, very nice work. Man those are tight all around. Very clean and i love the colors. The lace and sticking are beautiful.

Most of my designes are more based on the tattoo or graffiti type of art. When i've got a image in my head i can't get on paper i like to look around on tattoo sites . It helps me get past that block or come up with something new.

Very nice work David.

Hi Clay,

I'll look around for a larger version of that seat....

meanwhile

try looking at www.photobucket.com and then do a search for patillserve That's me

Thanks again for the positive comments.

Dave Theobald

Hi Dave,

I checked out your photo album. You really have some nice stuff there. I like the variety of different seats. I saved the picture of the seat with Christ's face on it and zoomed in on it. You really did a nice job on that carving! I would love to see some of your work in person some day. Once again, thanks for sharing the pictures of your work. I will be looking forward to seeing more of it.

Clay

Really phenomenal! I've only been carving for a couple of months (and even that off and on) and it excites me to see how good one can get in just a year! Gives me something to aspire to, as they say... keep up the good work!

Thanks again everyone,

I really do appreciate the compliments. There is nothing going on in my area (around Cincinnati) with regard to leatherwork, so I am totally self taught. Just me and what I can read on the internet. My nearest Tandy is in Columbus which is two hours from my home. I do subscribe to Leathercrafter and Saddlers Journal which is a very good publication even though it is heavily weighted toward cowboy/horse "stuff". There are also some articles in it that are not "western" in subject matter and some projects that are very worthwhile.

Dave

Hey, David- we're "neighbors"! I'm about 90 miles north of you, near St. Marys. Will you give me ride in the Spring? Though it seems a shame to cover up such pretty seats with a behind. Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. If you ever want to get your stuff off of photobucket and have a permanent gallery to upload pics to, let me know. (This offer is good for any leatherworker!)

Johanna :)

Hi Johanna,

I would be interested in finding out about the photo gallery that you mentioned. Are you a web site developer? I've been considering a web site for the seats. Nothing etched in stone yet....still in the "thinking about it" stage.

Thanks for the compliments on the seats, I'd love to take you for a ride in the spring; unfortunately, I don't have a bike! ha ha...... The cobbler's kids have no shoes eh? Actually my son is the motorcyclist in the family. I told him that I want him to build me a bike when I retire. His response? "DAD! You are NOT getting a motorcycle."....lol. The child becomes the parent! I think I told him that when he was 16.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave Theobald

I do subscribe to Leathercrafter and Saddlers Journal which is a very good publication even though it is heavily weighted toward cowboy/horse "stuff". There are also some articles in it that are not "western" in subject matter and some projects that are very worthwhile.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Journal relies mostly on submitted articles for it's content and I think that's why they get stuck sometimes on the same old thing. Just because that's what the people that write articles for them know about. I have seen a lot of really neat things being done with motorcycle seats here, and on other internet sites lately. A lot of you that do them have some real talent putting art on leather. Maybe one of you also has the talent to write an article about it. I would hope that if you did, the journal would be willing to print that also. Even though I will probably never build a motorcycle seat, I would be interested in reading how it is done. I think there are lots of people that read the Journal because it is the only leather retated magazine out there that wish there was more variety in the articles it prints. If we want some changes in "our magazine", maybe we need to get involved and do someting about it. :whatdoyouthink:

Clay

Hey Clay,

I have honestly thought about it for quite a while. It takes a tremendous commitment of time do to all the writing and photographs that must be taken and furnished with descriptions. When this latest crunch is over, I currently have a standing order for 25 seats, I am going to start a seat specifically for a show bike and photograph every phase of the construction. I will submit something to the magazine. Hopefully it will be something that they can or will use.

Dave Theobald

Hey, David...I'd rather you do it here on leatherworker.net! More people will certainly see it, that's for sure! The magazine has less readers than this website. And I'll even volunteer to do a lot of the grunt work for you! :) In fact, I would be thrilled!

Johanna

Hi Dave,

The Journal relies mostly on submitted articles for it's content and I think that's why they get stuck sometimes on the same old thing. Just because that's what the people that write articles for them know about. I have seen a lot of really neat things being done with motorcycle seats here, and on other internet sites lately. A lot of you that do them have some real talent putting art on leather. Maybe one of you also has the talent to write an article about it. I would hope that if you did, the journal would be willing to print that also. Even though I will probably never build a motorcycle seat, I would be interested in reading how it is done. I think there are lots of people that read the Journal because it is the only leather retated magazine out there that wish there was more variety in the articles it prints. If we want some changes in "our magazine", maybe we need to get involved and do someting about it. :whatdoyouthink:

Clay

I used to write for the old "Make It With Leather" magazine (30-some odd years ago) till I got out of leather and got out of writing and went into various other careers; after I retired I decided to return to leather & started writing again. So far, I had an article published on constructing a 3-legged stool (Nov/Dec 06) and have another article in for submission, with at least 2 more fermenting in my head right now. It is up to all of us to use our specialties to bring more balance to the only leather related magazine out there. If we whine about the 'horsey slant' of the magazine without doing something about it (like submitting articles about stuff we know and care about, for instance), we have no one to blame but ourselves. Writing an article isn't difficult, and with digital, photography is even easier than 20 years ago. Rachel at the Journal will even help you along. :blink:

I'm inclined now to think that this forum is the place for such an article. Perhaps I'll do something else later for the magazine; but both are a way off in the future, I've got 25 seats to build before I even consider it.

Dave

Hey, David...I'd rather you do it here on leatherworker.net! More people will certainly see it, that's for sure! The magazine has less readers than this website. And I'll even volunteer to do a lot of the grunt work for you! :) In fact, I would be thrilled!

Johanna

I agree that anyone considering an article should think about posting it here. With any magazine, the shelf-life of your work is 30-60 days, and then you're a back issue.

Here, you're contributing to an online knowledge base that will hopefully be available to leatherworkers for a very long time. Plus, there can be interaction, if folks have questions, etc.

I'm with Clay... I'll probably never build a motorcycle seat, but I sure would be curious about how it's done.

-Alex

Hi all,

I thought I would add this pic of my latest seat and the bike for which it is destined.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Img325.jpg

post-327-1170180634_thumb.jpg

post-327-1170180666_thumb.jpg

post-327-1170180684_thumb.jpg

Comments good or BAD?! I didn't see ANYTHING that would even come close to BAD. Stunningly beautiful work! The Teutul crew, or any bike from Jesse James would be proud to wear that seat. Man!

I'm glad I don't make bike seats--I could not compete with that in any way, shape or form. Beautiful, just beautiful.