smirak

Question About Tandy Pro-Line Stitching Chisels

First off, I googled and searched here, but came up empty. I've watched all of Nigel's videos on stitching chisels too...

Looking at the Pro Line Diamond Stitching chisels that Tandy sells...(88044/45/46) series. They advertise as 3/32 (2.3mm), 1/8 (3.1mm) and 5/32 (3.9mm) chisels. Can someone tell me the SPI you get with these? I looked online and some sites said use 25.4/x to get the SPI. If I do that, I get 11, 8, 6.5 (roughly) from the above measurements. I don't believe that is true. I believe the chisels are more in the 8, 7, 6 range.

Can someone that has these chisels confirm for me please?

Thanks,

Kevin

I bought the 10 tooth model #88055-10. Would have bought a two tooth to go with it, but they don't make one. I did a watch band recently and 9 SPI was the result. Here's a pic to show the marks.post-60051-0-85979000-1432090626_thumb.j

This is the smallest spacing and the teeth are very skinny. I used very fine thread in comparison to what I generally use. Results were decent though.

The proline are different than the one tugadude posted. I just have one. The 5mm one. I never use it. They aren't the best quality so I wouldn't recommend.

The new ones (that tugadude posted) are much better quality but I don't like the design that much.

I'd take a look at the japanese brands if I were you.

I have the other iron from Tandy also, the 2mm in a 4 tooth and 2 tooth. They are very similar to the Craft Sha irons, I believe. I think they are pretty good, not as pretty as the one above, and chunkier, but I use them a lot. I will measure the SPI and let you know.

I measured it at 6.5 SPI.

The one on left is the Finesse from Springfield Leather.

post-60051-0-54566900-1432125593_thumb.j

Edited by Tugadude

In the photo above, the picture flips when you click on it, so black is on left. The black one is the Tandy.

The proline are different than the one tugadude posted. I just have one. The 5mm one. I never use it. They aren't the best quality so I wouldn't recommend.

The new ones (that tugadude posted) are much better quality but I don't like the design that much.

I'd take a look at the japanese brands if I were you.

I get so confused! They both have Pro in the name, should have compared model #.

Thanks all. I do like the springfield ones, but I want a chisel with 8spi as well. Looks like I'll be looking at/for the Japanese ones also. For the ~6 spi, the finesse ones from Springfield will be hard to beat though.

OK...maybe I'm stupid...but someone help explain it to me...

The 1/8 chisels (88045 series) is 1/8" spacing between holes. Which means you would get 9 holes in 1 inch. A stitch between each hole, meaning 8 spi. Is that correct? Reason I ask is that Springfield just got some new chisels in that are identical to the Tandy ones, though have diff pns and are silver instead of black. Asked Kevin at SLC and he said none of the 3/32, 1/8, or 5/32 will give 8spi.

o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o = 1 inch

o - hole

| - stitch

Does my rudimentary "drawing" make sense?

Kevin

Some of the Japanese brands refer to the teeth with for sizing. like 1.5mm. That's not the stitch length; it's the width of the tines (teeth).

That doesn't look like the case here though. 5/32 would be a massive hole

SLC isn't labeling it anything but distance between holes. The Japanese irons I see are labeled "2mmx4mm" where 2mm is the length of the slit/hole and 4 mm is the distance between holes.

SLC is labeling theirs as distance between holes, not whole "width"