RandallFlagg

Estwing Axe Mask

Hello im new to these forums. I come from the bushcraftusa forums where i learned to do leathercraft. My first ever leather project i did for a buddy's axe where his original cheap axe mask had become considerably damaged. I used it as a pattern and just winged it.

20111127234225.jpg

Edited by RandallFlagg

Looks pretty good Randall. Lets see the back and edges.

Looks pretty good Randall. Lets see the back and edges.

i followed a do it yourself dye recipe i saw online. I used rusted cast iron pot to reduce espresso coffee to the consistency of mud. applied the mud, then conditioned it with olive oil sealed it with parafin. I used a ball point pen (without ink ) to put in a scribble signature and used olive oil to darken the signature over and over giving it a slightly darker color than everything else. I actually had zero traditional tools except for my papaws old mallet and anvil with a flat chisel for the rivets. hand stitched. I don't really know how to use the awls or a machine.

the back before the dye process. and before i sanded the edges to a consistent level. this also was before i knew about burnishing.

20111125144641.jpg

Edited by RandallFlagg