Someone was talking about Osage the other day and now I can't find the post.I just finished this one,Osage handle and a basket weave sheath.Thanks for the pics of the wristbands,great idea, thou I need some more practice with them. Moon hairofthebear105.jpg">hairofthebear110.jpg">

Very nice work!!! I like the way you dyed the leather to match the handle (or vice versa).

Beautiful work on both, especially the way you mounted the handle to the tang. I don't think I've ever seen it done that way before.

Thanks T.O. I just got lucky on the colors matching.As for the handle it's just a hidden tang,you cut a slot in the handle and slide the knife tang in.There is a little more to it than that but you get the idea.Moon

Yeah, Moon, I know there's more to than that!!!LOL

I was referring to having the growth rings in that pattern. Everything else I've seen is along the grain, instead of across it - at least not SO across it.

Did you use epoxy or go with the more traditional pewter?

I was referring to having the growth rings in that pattern. Everything else I've seen is along the grain, instead of across it - at least not SO across it.

There is good reason you see most with the grain. The wood is less likely to split

when you run the grain with the tang. Wood likes to split with the grain. The next

time you see one of them Karate guys breaking a board , look close and you will see

the grain runs with the way he is kicking or punching it. It is extremely hard to split

even the soft woods across the grain. But most all wood will split with the grain with

the slightest amount of pressure.Especially on something as narrow as knife handle.

Of course if you have a full tang this is less likely to happen.

T.O. I use a two part epoxy to lock everything in place.

Windy is right on about the grain but the tang hole goes about 3/4 the length of the handle so I'm not really worried.Moon

T.O. I use a two part epoxy to lock everything in place.

Windy is right on about the grain but the tang hole goes about 3/4 the length of the handle so I'm not really worried.Moon

That's a great looking sheath and handle....is the knife not fully inserted in the sheath?? I'd sure like to see a picture of it fully inserted...bet the handle really looks nice against the sheath then.....

I keep hoping my source comes up with some Osage (on ebay) but no luck thus far......I love cocobolo but getting a little bored with it.......I need some Orange!!!

Okay...I've only used brass pins on my scales, but since I didn't see any on your's I was curious. Some folks who do 'period work' use pewter or "animal byproduct" based glues.

Wood likes to split with the grain. The next

time you see one of them Karate guys breaking a board , look close and you will see

the grain runs with the way he is kicking or punching it.

Don't I know it!!!! WAAAAAAAY back when I was taking martial arts, we'd occasionally break things. Turning the board is a great way to get even with a person that's been picking at you. Incidentally, board breaking is mostly (one can of worms officially opened) about confidence and technique rather than strength- as in "Do you have the confidence to hit this with your hand/foot and know you did it correctly and won't get hurt?" Cinder blocks are a step or three up from that and um....they don't have a grain. :head_hurts_kr:

Back to the knife handle....That was more or less what I was hinting at when I made the observation. However, for a knife that is as much art as tool, I see nothing wrong with it at all. Especially if it is a 'for sale' piece that's likely to fetch a higher price for being purty. Also, a gorgeous knife like that will be kept well, and not used for mundane things like prying or punching holes in stew cans. The user may be a little cautious in it's use, and only use it as a knife- instead of a prybar, chisel, hammer, throwing knife, etc...Moon, this is in no way intended as a slight against the knife. Let's face it: If you built the knife to be a jungle cutter, it'd be in a flat black sheath with plain scales. As it is, it's spectacular, and far better than what I do ( and no, you can't have a picture, 'cause the last time I took a pic of my 'smithing efforts, I broke the camera).

No offense taken T.O. That's why I'm on these forums,to learn.Someone posts a pic.someone else might make a suggestion on how to make it better.In the end we all want to do the best job we can.Starting to sound like a beer commercial,I'm done.Moon