Armsman70

Fiebings Blue And Purple Dye, Bronze Haze

hello all

i was wanting to know if there is a method to remove the bronze or oily haze that is on surface of leather after dying either blue or purple. have dyed with both colors and always there is that hazy bronze/oil look after drying. any help would be appreciated.

Pat Marshall

Hi Armsman70

I use angelus dye but it is basically the same thing. Here is a quote from angelusdirect.com about what to do about the strange color.

" WARNING: If you get a tint on your dye you may have over saturated it by putting too much. Take a cloth with alcohol and wipe it down quickly to remove excess over saturation. Also remember dye takes the color of what is underneath it. "

That bronze look can be from too much dye.

Cheers, Toolingaround

Edited by Toolingaround

Also buff it well to removed excess pigment that is laying on top of the leather. Sometimes it is the cause of a metallic appearance.

Tom

I am bumping this up to see if anyone can help us. I put fiebing's leather dye purple on VG Tan leather and it came out black with a hint op purple copper and other matalic colors. Is there anyway to us the dye on leather to make it come out right? Mamy thanks for all that helps here on this forum.

Big Smile Leather Smith On Facebook. Come join in and I will do the same for you.

Edited by bigsmile

Bigsmile; Cut your dye 50/50 with alcohol and spray on in light coats. I have tried to use other methods, but only end up with blotches or a way too dark tone. Metallic shene is from way to much dye. You can get a real nice purple with just a few light coats. The purple will darken quite a bit with age, even when clear coated. Gump

Many thanks Gump. I have never tryed to spray dye leather. Will need to look in on how to do this.

https://www.facebook.com/bigsmileleathersmith

Edited by bigsmile