wolfe9

Singer 111 Vs 211

I have done a ton of searching and don't see much of a difference between the following machines except for clearance under the foot .

Also on the 111 and 211 , do they feed with the needle as well as the walking foot .?

The specific models I am looking at are below , I was also looking at a 111W151 but as far as I can determine it is not a walking foot ?

Thanks for your help .

111W153

211G155

211G165

The 11w151 wouldn't be to bad of a machine for leather as itll sew to 5/16"thick & with the needlefeed it can pull it through.The 111w or alittle better than the 211 because they have a larger heavier handwheel.

There are some feet available for them too like a zipper foot with the toe on the left or right & also a foot w/a nylon bottom that helps the leather feed better.

Bob

I've got a couple of these (singer 111 - 211) for sale semi-local to me, so is there a list that gives the various options by model no.? (a 11w?)

Is reverse one of those model options or could have been added later?

will I see a big bar for this if they send me a pic?

OK, found this, think some of my questions still apply though.

only first link is giving specs for example.

211a -------http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/211a.htm

211w,g,gx: http://www.industria...ingers/211w.htm

211u----http://www.industria...ingers/211u.htm

411u----http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/411u.htm

Edited by stanly

I don't think any of the 111/211 machines have reverse , I was told that the 211s are harder to find parts for , also make sure you research specific machines before you buy because not all 111s are walking foot .

Where are you located ?

There is one model of 111w that has reverse it's a 111G156 & many models of the 211's have reverse but parts are getting harder to get for it,along with the fact that the 111's sew leather better make them a better choice.

There's also Consew 226R & Juki 562 that are very much like a 111w.

Thanks for the replys guys (was begining to think unwritten rule - no piggybacking)

Wolf9: I'm in WA

LOL , I figured when I said that about reverse that it was probably to much of a blanket statement . I did a ton of research and was looking at the 111s based on the recommendation of a guy in NC and my own research , but considering that this is all new to me I figured that having reverse would make life easier . None of the 111s that I was finding had reverse .

I called Bob and he was nice enough to spend quit a bit of time on the phone with me answering all kinds of questions . I was looking for a machine that I could do tactical (Nylon ) on and some leather , so based on what he said and reading until my eyes were about to bleed I bought a Consew 206RB , I also got a good deal on a PFAFF 145 that was on the way so now I have both of those .

I need to call Bob next week to order a servo motor .

I had the asme question about adding reverse and the answer is no (from what I was told ) It is done inside the machine , you cant just reverse the motor which is what I was thinking about doing .

Hope this was of some help .

I have thought about doing a post , sort of a questions and answer thing from the clueless point of view , I spent a lot of time looking for basic info that would be a no brainer for those people that have been doing this for years . I am very mechanical and was surprised at how long it took me to find answers to specific questions , even some of the basic terms took a while to find sometimes , for example everyone talks about walking foot machines but if you look at the Singer chart they call them alternating presser feet , so I was asking myself is that the same thing ? After I found a video and saw how they worked it made perfect sense . Now that I have a machine in my hands I know that I could tear it down and put it back together no problem , I would need help with some of the finer points like adjustments but overall they seem pretty simple but its always what you don't know that gets you ...LOL

If I did the post I would be relying on those minds greater than mine to correct anything that I got wrong and to fill in the blanks that I don't have answers to yet .

Any opinions ? Would it be worth while or a waste of bandwidth to try something like that ? I see many of the same questions asked time and time again so I thought it might be good to have a thread with basic answers .

Sorry for rambling on rolleyes.gif

Stanly this might be of some help .

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/used/used-brochures/111w.htm

Edited by wolfe9

The 206 is a good machine & just alittle easier to run than the Singers & I have use 207 thread on the 206's b4 they won't sew real heavy.

If you look @ the top of this forum there's some pinned info about leather machines.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25239

Bob

Yes his post were very helpful , it was funny many of my Google searches brought me right back here .