Bigpaws

441 Accessories Question

Hey all,

I recently bought a Cobra 4 and was wondering if anyone makes a binding foot attachment for this class of machine? Also curious if a welting/piping foot is available.

Not to my knowledge. Both would be useful accessories.

Your best bet is to hire a machinist to cut feet for you, out of stainless steel, using samples taken from a walking foot machine. The differences are in the outer foot mounting area, the height of the feet and to reposition of the inside foot so it clears the needlebar.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I talked with Steve about adding a binder to the Cobra 4 before Christmas. He said he would have to talk with his contacts in China about it and would get back to me. He sounded very hopeful though. I was supposed to call him back last week about it, but I got busy with other things. I'll call him tomorrow and post what he says.

BTW--The Techsew 2800 comes with a binder. I also talked with them about adding a binder to the 5100. They said they are working on it and will post a notice on their website when they have one.

Seiko Ch-8BV already has a binder, but it is more expensive than the Techsew or the Cobra.

Sorry--I just realized that you already have the Cobra, and consequently just want the accessory. Keep talking with Steve about it. It should be in the works. I'll post what he tells me about it.

The problem with binders is not only is there a difference in width & thickness of the binding,there's also a difference in what people want to bind canvas,leather,carpet meaning the binder has to be made for the material thickness so there really isn't a standard binder that will work esp for leather .If your really want it to work properly (which most people do) it's best to call an attachment maker like Tennessee Attachment or Atlanta Attachment & you tell them the make & model of your machine & they'll want a sample of your binding & leather & let them know if it needs to go through any seams & they'll make you one that'll work.

I called Atlanta and gave them all the pertinent info. They wanted me to ship a machine head to them. MFG I have a 206rb-5 and they wanted my machine to make the binder! I was less than impressed. They are evidently geared to working with factories that have machines to spare or someone that has the cash and downtime to ship their lifeblood. I have no problem paying a little more for something I know will work, but if they cant cover the common machines themselves..... ahh nevermind, this will turn into a rant.

I don't feel so bad now! As a very small business I cannot afford to stock all of the hundreds of types of binders available and I usually just order specific ones if I cannot find another local supplier for the customer.

I called Atlanta and gave them all the pertinent info. They wanted me to ship a machine head to them. MFG I have a 206rb-5 and they wanted my machine to make the binder! I was less than impressed. They are evidently geared to working with factories that have machines to spare or someone that has the cash and downtime to ship their lifeblood. I have no problem paying a little more for something I know will work, but if they cant cover the common machines themselves..... ahh nevermind, this will turn into a rant.

I wouldn't ship a head either.I have dealt w/Tenn before with an old Singer 107w & an Adler 220 & never had to ship a machine.

Consew 206RB / Seiko STH-8B series machines should easily be common enough that they know what foot, feed and plate they need, as well as binding attachment points. This popular machine has been since the 70's.

I have Tenn. Att. make up stuff by PO for this model machine.

Cobra Steve said its going to be another week before his sources in China will have an answer for him about the binder. The machine would be dedicated to binding however -- i.e., you couldn't use it for regular stitching. Steve thinks a better route is to follow Wiz's advice and get an attachment company to build you a binder. Perhaps Steve could give Atlanta Attachments enough information (measurements, pictures etc.) so they can build you a binder without actually having the head.

In looking at the attachments for say the 111 class machines, I got to wondering why the whole mechanism couldn't be screwed down to flat table machine regardless of make/model/size? all you're doing is folding binding material around your base material. The machine would feed everything through, no? Wouldn't need to worry about matching the binder to a specific machine type. Why couldn't you even have interchangeable folding cones for different sized materials that slid into a receiver slot on the binder plate? A variation on the binder "cone" could even be a corded welting setup (to make the corded welting, not to sew it on -- guess that would still require a grooved, specialized walking foot). Buy one binder/attachment plate and multiple folding cones based on your preferences. Just some thoughts from an admitted noob to sewing.

At any rate, thanks for y'all for taking the time to respond.

Just want to say that I have been lurking on this forum for close to a year now, and have tremendous respect for the body of knowledge you all are willing to share. Great site, great folks.

There is a kind of binder attachment for leather tape for the Adler 4 / 5 and 104 / 105. Not sure if they still make them and I´m not sure if they work for 441 type machines. Just wanted to shot this idea.

post-31854-0-31499500-1389683309_thumb.j

post-31854-0-27714500-1389683330_thumb.j

Ferdco at one point made an attachment for the PRO 2000 that would allow it to accept welting feet for 111 Singer. They don't have the binding attachment themselves but if they still make adapter then 111 binding feet should be made to fit 440 clones.

There was a post a while back where one member had a binder attachment made for her 441 clone. I believe it was made by Tennessee attachment and it cost her about $300-400.

Andrew

Ferdco at one point made an attachment for the PRO 2000 that would allow it to accept welting feet for 111 Singer. They don't have the binding attachment themselves but if they still make adapter then 111 binding feet should be made to fit 440 clones.

Ryan;

Ferdco is out of business and all assets were sold to the Hoffman Brothers, in Rosemont, Il.

Cough, splutter!

There was a post a while back where one member had a binder attachment made for her 441 clone. I believe it was made by Tennessee attachment and it cost her about $300-400.

Andrew

Wiz:

Yes, I was aware of that. Could Hoffman have some of those 111 style adapters floating around over there? Hoffmann is advertising using the trade name of Ferdco so seems like he is trying to keep the name alive.

Hello Friends,

I have this old binder for the class 5, (in the picture from the manual). I also have some newer big leather binder I purchased from Kwokhing.com. I can use them on my 441 if I want too. However, I need to modify a foot that will fit them, that's all. So far I had no need of using my 441 for this purpose because I have a Pfaff 345 (medium triple feed cyl. bed binder feed) I use for this purpose.

The Kwokhing binders are for heavy material/leather and for cylinder bed machines, I think they was cheep (about 9 to 15 $ each).

The problem is that Kwokhing do not answer my emails anymore. Perhaps they are bankrupt/closed down. (I had a very good customer relationship with them, do anybody have any updates on this please let me know). I really missing having Kwokhing to buy stuff like this from.

Most other attachments makers only do custom jobs and their customers are factories that look to start a new fabrication. To have a binder made like that can be very expensive, many hundred times the Kwokhing prices of course.

If you have a skiving machine you can make leather binding tape that fit your binder on it (by attaching a splitter roller foot or different method). Kwokhing sold different size binders for cylinder beds (also flat bed models), the cyl. bed ones can be used on flat beds too. You attach them with two screws on the base plate, very easy. I will post some pictures later if anybody want to see how they look like. (Most have an idea or know them from before). The right hand binder foot will be best to make if only one, the binder attached on the right side of the foot. However, they better make a left foot set too, sooner or later it will be missed.

Tor

Edited by Trox