BearMan

Tooling Bench Weight

Hi Everybody,

After all the Christmas presents got finished,,, I saw the need for a little "present" for myself. It weighs about 3 pounds, & is made out of some 5-6oz leather from Zack White. It's about 4" x 6". My old one isn't quite that heavy. I put on a good coat of oil, both inside & some Satin Professional Top Coat finish from Zelikovitz, in Canada. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the finish. I wouldn't say water "proof",,, but a drop of water sitting on it for about 15 min. just wiped right off, with no water stain. Plus, it seems to help bring out the colors also.

Thanks for looking,,, please let me know what You think,,, Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-057439000 1324509992_thumb.jpg

Very nice as always Bearman by the way never noticed you were from p.c. i was raised right up the road in Bonifay but my wife relocated me lol. Anyway one howdy from one florida boy to another. Happy trails my friend and Happy holidays.

Nice carving and coloring as usual. What does one do with a bench weight?

Beautiful job. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Nice work! It's nice to find someone nearby! I'm in Tallahassee. Next time I'm scheduled over there, I'll drop you a line. Maybe we could get together?

Once again, Beautiful Work!

Marc

Hi,,, Thanks Everybody!!,

cowdog,, PM sent

resqman,,, a bench weight is used to help hold a piece of leather in place while you're tooling it. Just makes it easier.

Marc,,, sure, when ever you're down this way, just let me know. I'd be glad to show you my drastically shrunken leather shop,,, compared to what I'd like. It's all of 20" deep, by almost 4 feet long!! hehehe

Thanks again,, Ed the"BearMan"

What does one stuff in a bench weight? Sand? Lead shot? Steel shot? Pea gravel? .....does it matter what you use?

nice job. my bench weight i used deer skin and lead shot to fill it. just glued up 3 sides filled with lead shot and glue the last open side.

no stitching or special carving just the basic bench weight.

Hi,,, Thanks Everybody!!,

cowdog,, PM sent

resqman,,, a bench weight is used to help hold a piece of leather in place while you're tooling it. Just makes it easier.

Marc,,, sure, when ever you're down this way, just let me know. I'd be glad to show you my drastically shrunken leather shop,,, compared to what I'd like. It's all of 20" deep, by almost 4 feet long!! hehehe

Thanks again,, Ed the"BearMan"

Ha! I call these Map Weights. We used them to hold down the USGS Quadrangle maps on the hood of the car.

These work great for holding the pattern down while you are cutting too.

Hi Everybody,

After all the Christmas presents got finished,,, I saw the need for a little "present" for myself. It weighs about 3 pounds, & is made out of some 5-6oz leather from Zack White. It's about 4" x 6". My old one isn't quite that heavy. I put on a good coat of oil, both inside & some Satin Professional Top Coat finish from Zelikovitz, in Canada. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the finish. I wouldn't say water "proof",,, but a drop of water sitting on it for about 15 min. just wiped right off, with no water stain. Plus, it seems to help bring out the colors also.

Thanks for looking,,, please let me know what You think,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Very nice result Bearman. I really like the finish colour. I looked at your work then had another look at my 30 year old "scungy" moth eaten weight bags (No 8 Birdshot in pigskin pouches) and decided there and then what my first project after Xmas will be. By the way, the maul you made for me (iilg Seal Logo Competition) is great. Merry Xmas to you and your family from Barrie Bailey.

Bearman, Love your work. Just noticed that you are from Panama. I am two counties over near Apalachicola. Do you do this at a shop or just a hobby? Dawn

Cool Idea...have to steal that :) been using extra guns laying around to hold the leather as I cut it....yours is a much better Idea :Lighten: