sfav8r

Which blue guns to start with

Howdy y'all,

Which blue guns do you suggest I order for holster making? I don't have a lot of money to invest and need advice on how to get the most bang for the buck and not waste my money when ordering Blue Guns. I know several Glock models have the same dimensions...Any idea which ones..Thanks in advance

Ranger

Just my opinion but the first three I would select would be the ones listed below.

1) 1911 full size. Can be used for all clear down to the subcompact.

2) Browning high power

3) J frame S&W Snub

glock 17,22,31,37 Full size

20,21 Full size

19,23,25,32,38 Compact

26,27,28,33,39 Sub Compact

29,30 Sub Compact

36 Compact slim 45

Just in case, each line of model numbers is same size.

just started my collection today with the glock 27. i figure to try and buy one each month. we'll see how it goes. if anyone has a reliable and or inexpensive dealer let us know. always looking for the lowest price and best service as are we all. lol

Tony

I order most of my Blue guns from here:

http://www.copsplus.com/ringsblueguns.php

They post pictures of each one they sell, so it's easier to make sure you are ordering the one you intend to.

As far as "which ones?", I think that is a loaded question... for what purpose? For open carry? Concealed carry holster?

My advice if you are looking to make holsters for sale, is poll your shooting buddies, as they will likely be your first customers, then find out what your local police carry as a primary weapon and as a back up/off duty gun, and start there.

Good luck.

-Tac

Which models to buy will depend upon your market; which ones are you getting orders for? Those are the models you will need to have.

As previously discussed, Ring's Blue Guns are marketed by dozens of dealers. However, none of those (to my knowledge) maintains any significant inventory; they simply take orders and forward to Ring's for production. Ring's will also take orders from the general public, so placing your order through a dealer actually adds to the waiting time in many cases (dealer orders from Ring's, Ring's ships to dealer, dealer ships to you). The only advantage to ordering through any of the dealers is that some sell at less than suggested retail price (Ring's charges retail on all orders, unless you are willing to place a mega-bucks order and become a stocking dealer).

Obtaining the dummy guns we need, when we need them, is an ongoing challenge. I now have about 4 dozen dummies, plus another couple of dozen real handguns, and I still receive requests for holsters to fit other handguns. If I think that the demand for a model will be significant, I will buy the dummy.

I also have a pretty good niche market supplying holsters for out-of-production handguns. For the most part, dummies are not available for most of those, so I just purchase a used handgun (the first half-dozen orders pay for the cost, and the cost is a tax-deductible business expense).

Thirty years ago, when there were 3 or 4 manufacturers, each making 3 or 4 models, life was relatively easy. Today there are dozens of manufacturers, each making a dozen or more models with dozens of variations in each product line. Add in the periperals (tactical lights, laser sights, etc) and the variety is staggering. A maker who tries to stock one of each could spend dozens of hours every week just keeping up to date on the newest gadgets and model variations.

This question comes up several times per year. Perhaps the moderators would consider adding a "sticky" on this subject.

glock 17,22,31,37 Full size

20,21 Full size

19,23,25,32,38 Compact

26,27,28,33,39 Sub Compact

29,30 Sub Compact

36 Compact slim 45

Just in case, each line of model numbers is same size.

Good advice. Most of the Glocks are a pretty sure bet. Also, as mentioned, the 1911's are always in demand. I'd recommend going directly to Ring's for Blue Guns. You'll need your resale tax number to get wholesale pricing.

just started my collection today with the glock 27. i figure to try and buy one each month. we'll see how it goes. if anyone has a reliable and or inexpensive dealer let us know. always looking for the lowest price and best service as are we all. lol

Tony

Contact ASP and ask about their OEM Red Gun Program. You can buy direct at 50% off list. List for handguns is $47, so you can get them for $23.50 each plus shipping. Catch is, you have to be an OEM. I use them when a Rings Blue Gun is not available.

Edited by SouthernHolsters

Howdy y'all,

Which blue guns do you suggest I order for holster making? I don't have a lot of money to invest and need advice on how to get the most bang for the buck and not waste my money when ordering Blue Guns. I know several Glock models have the same dimensions...Any idea which ones..Thanks in advance

Ranger

I'm gonna give you the advice that I wish somebody had given me when I got started:

Specialize in one niche, and concentrate your services, advertisements, and products in that area. For example:

Offer leather holsters for concealable Glocks only. Don't make a wide range of holster styles; just one or two that work very well and know them inside and out, like one pancake and one IWB, and offer them with retention straps since almost nobody else does(this is just an example, not what I think you should do). Then spend your limited investment money on dummy guns for the Glock 26, 19, and 30 (which also covers the 23, 27, 32, 33, 29, 30 & 30SF models). Invest in clicker dyes for the limited holsters you make for those models (depending on the design one shape would work for most if not all of the models). Then advertise in the appropriate place that has your niche market, like the-off-duty-cops-who-love-glocks-forum.com because they have expressed a need for IWB Glock holsters that have retention straps, and no other vendor has fulfilled their needs yet (that's a fictional forum just for an example). You will have less overhead, you will get very good at making that holster style, and you will build customer loyalty with individuals that already have blind brand loyalty, along with a concentrated market to advertise with.

Diversify too much, and you will sink yourself in this business if you aren't very careful. Take too many custom orders on too many different kinds of pistols and you will go broke trying to fulfill promises and prior obligations, and pay for a large inventory of dummy guns with a big investment and little monetary return (ask me how I know). There are hundreds of holster makers, and hundreds of pistols. Don't be afraid to say no if you can't make any money on a custom request, 'cause there will be another holster maker that won't know any better than to do it and lose money on it.

Also, you need to really enjoy what you are doing because you won't really make any money for at least a couple of years, and even after that you won't get rich. Second, I think you need to have an interest in the niche you cater to; if you sell CCW holsters you should carry every day and understand what is needed to make a holster work well for the CURRENT trends in carry and defensive shooting training. If you are planning on making IDPA holsters, then you should compete (even if you aren't very competitive) so you understand what the holster should be able to do and you can relate with the needs of your customers. If you don't know what these trends and necessities are, you should be willing toinvest in some classes and learn, or you will only sell your productsto customers that don't really know what they need or what is required.

This is the best advice that I can give you on how to be successful in the holster business. I hope it helps you make some decisions.

Edited by BOOMSTICKHolsters

Great advice Jeff, and I so agree.I am a knifemaker/ sheathmaker who did a couple of holsters for myself.A few local customers saw them and I was off making holsters as well.Several years later and I am still at it.I did like Jeff suggested, I specialized in a couple of models and only a couple of styles.I have one 1911 Blue gun, my own Glock 19 and a Ruger Mark II.I also pretty much do only custom work, which has its good and bad points, but it does pay better.As to Blueguns, I can't see buying the whole lot till you know what your customer base is.I worked across the street from Ring's Mfg. and talked with the owner about a distributorship, hell even applied for a job thier, but I decided to only buy after I knew what was selling.Good luck.Dave

What Jeff and Dave related is excellent advice. Trying to be everything to everybody will soon result in your being nothing to anybody. Come up with a good design that fills a niche or that you can make as well as other but sell for less. One design can translate to several guns, the Glocks allready being mentioned, say a good design for 1911 styles can also be used for Browning HP, CZ75 etc. with just a different stitchline. I only take exception with Jeff on one point and that is cllicker dies. If you don't own a clicker press you loose control of hide selection and where on the hide the parts are clicked. You also can not make small design changes later on without buying new dies. Invest in a couple of good round knives, I like Weaver mastercraft, and learn to use them. Doesn't take long. I can trace out and cut out all the parts for a holster in three to eight minutes depending on complexity. Prioritize your work schedule ie: I finish holsters from the previous week and cut patterns for the current week on Monday. On Tue, Wend and Thurs I work on assembling by batches of like types. On Friday I wet form them all. They dry over the weekend and ready for finish on monday. You need to know how to price your work. Know the overhead cost of an hour of shop time, the material costs, etc and add in your hourly rate plus a 10% fudge factor to arrive at a price. Have a place to sell. From my experience in decending order of success. eBay, internet forums, gunshows, gun stores (not on consignment). I would stay away from custom work in the beginning that will come soon enough and after you have some experience in the costs associated with a new design likely to be a one of. Get a state sales tax liscence. This establishes you as a business and allows you to buy at wholesale. It really isn't much of a hassel and the savings are great. Above all remember that working smart with a plan trumps working hard without a plan every time.. I know this went way beyond what blue guns to buy first but these are all things that have to be considered. Making holsters is satisfying it's just more satisfying making money doing it.

The idea behind the clicker dies is three fold. First of all, once you get your designs down you don't want to be making changes as that costs you time and money, and opens the door for too much custom deviation. It's not to say that custom work can't make money, but you need to be established and get well paid for you work (as I imagine Dave does). Second, using clicker dies doesn't just cut down on cutting time; it also drastically reduces the time it takes to dress up your edges. Finally, it makes it more expedient to produce consistent reslults (especially if you do several holsters at a time).

As far as spending money goes, you don't have to have a clicker press to use the dies; I don't even own a clicker press. I modified a shop press to quick change between rubber press pads and clicker dies. I definitely get where Denster is coming from, but I am also giving the best advice I can, and my second biggest regret to do with this business is not getting dies made sooner (the first is diversifying too much in the beginning). All that having been said, if you don't know how to cut patterns well without the dies or form holsters without a press, you need to get all that worked out long before you decide to go into the business of making holsters. Unfortunately, I see a lot of people who jump right in without really knowing what they are doing both both in regards to leather work, and with pistol craft (tragically both can be learned, but many are too lazy or unwilling to make the necessary effort).

Should have knowen that Jeff would come up with a simple inexpensive (relatively) solution to an expensive situation. My statement on hand cutting patterns relates to my own personal prediliction to change things. I might decide after making a couple hundred holsters from a pattern that it might look better if this curve or that were a little different. Just gives me an option to satisfy my whims. Yes it does take a couple of minutes to level the edges but I've pretty much got it down to a science. We all do things a little different to get to the same end and as long as it doesn't add materially to the bottom line and the results are good. Who cares? Anyway what Jeff related business wise is spot on.

You guys have really given some great advise for new and future holster makers. I started out in this business trying to be everything to everybody. Like Jeff indicated, it just doesn't work. I've taken on a few custom jobs just for the challange. I sure didn't make any money with them. I started in the business making pocket holsters then advanced to one model of IWB and one model of OWB. By luck I was able to buy out another makers clicker dies, blue guns and was able to add 2 more IWB styles to my product line. My origional IWB design is still holding it's own and my 2 newer styles are selling well. Besides a couple of minor design changes, my product line is established.

I was able to come up with my basic designs based on my own experience as a police officer for the past 34 years. Bottom line, I've packed a gun for a really long time.

With the current surge in concealed carry permit holders, we don't just build holsters, we have to educate the carrying public too. We not only build holsters were also educators of sorts.

Jeff, Tac, Ray (Lobo) Bruce Gibson, Monica (Shorts) and a few others that hang out on this forum have the knowledge and experiance and are not afraid to share it. That's one of the great things about this forum

Now back to the topic at hand. I think it was Blue Guns.

After a few bad experiences with discount police suppliers, I order directly from Rings. If a customer requests a holster for a model I don't have, I can pickup up the phone and speak directly to John Ring. If he has it in stock, I will have it in a few days.

Randy

I seem to remember being told that if you order directly from Ring's you can get the blue gun without the blue coating of paint that tends to rub off on the holser. Is that correct?

Bronson

I seem to remember being told that if you order directly from Ring's you can get the blue gun without the blue coating of paint that tends to rub off on the holser. Is that correct?

Bronson

Yes, you can request a blue gun without the blue paint.

Glock 17, 1911, and 9mm. Those are the ones I started with after talking to multiple people who make holsters.

Mooshi

J frame revolver or some sort

Glock 19 or 17.