Just finished up my own Pince à Coudre. It is made out of a solid piece of Ash and finished with Watco Danish Oil. I plan to test it out on a wallet for my brother.

post-5299-0-32672800-1408231688_thumb.pn

post-5299-0-72787800-1408231721_thumb.pn

post-5299-0-51860400-1408231837_thumb.jp

Very nice.

Hardly any grain runout, beautiful hand made and dowelled hinge, looks like an absolute pleasure to use!

A few questions, if I may:

What made you decide to cut the jaws on the bandsaw instead of steam bend them?

What is the depth and width of the throat and the clamping width of the jaws?

Was your design based off a coudre you own or have used, or did you design it from the ground up?

What's the total height of the piece? Is it designed for when you're sitting on a stool?

Looks very nice all round, please give us a report when you finish the wallet for your bro; I'm genuinely keen to find out how the throat depth and jaw width works out for you!

Hello Neillo,

I did a bunch of research on this project and had some down time to get it done. Fortunately where I live, there is a place where we can pay to use really nice industrial tools like planer and band saw. I saw in a video from France where they were making these the old fashioned way and they cut the jaws like this. The overall length is about 52" long and the jaw width is 2 3/4". The spread on the jaws (fully open) is 11". I drew a bunch of jaw bends on poster board and experimented with that and got the curve right on my second try. This is made out of a huge chunck of Ash wood that I paid about $40. Hope this helps. Thanks for the compliments. I use it everytime I stitch and the whole process is easier now.

-Brent