So I made a tote bag recently for my wife. My grandma mentioned to my mom she really liked it and wanted one. So without telling her I made this one for her. I'm giving it to her today!

I did the strap a bit differently on this one. I'm not sure how much I like it but I made this bag basically out of extra scraps I had so I needed to improvise a bit. I definitely see the flaws I made...I need to practice machine stitching a lot. I'm just not very good at it yet.

Anyway...here ya go! Thanks for looking. Let me know how I can improve or things you would have done differently. After all there are so many ways to make the same thing it's always fun hearing other people's perspective.

Joe

post-50407-0-69036800-1408902259_thumb.j

post-50407-0-74669200-1408902269_thumb.j

Nice work! I like the strap.

Grandma is gonna be happy! It looks great, and I would never have thought to use a mystery braid for a strap. I like it!

The only thing I think I would have changed would be to edge paint the braid edges, probably before braiding. That said, it's a small thing. I also would probably have used a D or triangle rather than a square for the strap to chain attachment to keep it from sliding around.

The stitching distance from the edge varies a little bit where the bottom attaches to the sides, but I can certainly understand why that happens. You can't really use an edge guide the way that those pieces have to be sewn. I can't maintain a straight line to save my life without an edge guide. It's still pretty darn good, tho!

Hope that helps

Bill

Nice work! I like the strap.

Thank you very much!

Grandma is gonna be happy! It looks great, and I would never have thought to use a mystery braid for a strap. I like it!

The only thing I think I would have changed would be to edge paint the braid edges, probably before braiding. That said, it's a small thing. I also would probably have used a D or triangle rather than a square for the strap to chain attachment to keep it from sliding around.

The stitching distance from the edge varies a little bit where the bottom attaches to the sides, but I can certainly understand why that happens. You can't really use an edge guide the way that those pieces have to be sewn. I can't maintain a straight line to save my life without an edge guide. It's still pretty darn good, tho!

Hope that helps

Bill

Thanks Bill! Yeah I should have edge finished the braid but to be honest I just ran out of time. I had to get the bag done for today. Triangle's would be awesome! I'm going to pick some up for sure. I had D's but they were 1 inch and really looked clunky. So I dug around and found the rectangles and decided to use them because they looked a little less clunky.

I really like the design, I would say you did a great job on it. I bet she's going to be thrilled!

Chris

I really like the design, I would say you did a great job on it. I bet she's going to be thrilled!

Chris

Thank you so much!

I too !

like the idea of a mystery braid as a purse handle. You have quite the minds eye. and the contrasting bottom looks fashionable with the handle,

Nice idea Joe !

Thanks Bill! Yeah the mystery braid was necessity as it was all the leather I had left! But it worked.

Looks like a nice bag. Good work. Grandma will be happy with it I'm sure.

Looks like a nice bag. Good work. Grandma will be happy with it I'm sure.

Thanks Rohn! I gave it to her yesterday and she was super happy. It was a total surprise so that is always fun!

I'm interested in the weave for the strap. How did you do that?

Here's the link for the tutorial:

http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page51.html

Also because the D ring or square ring or w/e you are using is likely not as wide as the strap itself you have to cut a triangle out of each side of the strap. That way when you fold it over to rivet the D ring or square ring in the strap narrows down to the width of the D ring or square ring.

I hope that helps!

It looks great, Joe! Your projects all look very clean and nice.

It looks great, Joe! Your projects all look very clean and nice.

Thanks Monica! Slowly but surely. I have some ideas for a combo canvas and leather bag I'm going to try out next.

Here's the link for the tutorial:

http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page51.html

Also because the D ring or square ring or w/e you are using is likely not as wide as the strap itself you have to cut a triangle out of each side of the strap. That way when you fold it over to rivet the D ring or square ring in the strap narrows down to the width of the D ring or square ring.

I hope that helps!

I didn't even know that was possible. I figured since the pictures only show one side that the other had a piece of leather covering where the handle straps cuts had went all the way to the end. I was sure that was the only way to accomplish the braid. Well, now I know better.

It looks pretty nice to me. Are there any inside pockets? I may make a tote for my aunt, and wondering if it is customary to put pocket compartments in or not.

Edited by Dan28

I didn't even know that was possible. I figured since the pictures only show one side that the other had a piece of leather covering where the handle straps cuts had went all the way to the end. I was sure that was the only way to accomplish the braid. Well, now I know better.

It looks pretty nice to me. Are there any inside pockets? I may make a tote for my aunt, and wondering if it is customary to put pocket compartments in or not.

This bag does not have any pockets. The other tote bag I made had a hanging inside pocket. The next one I plan to do a zipper top with an overlay leather pocket (also with a zipper) on the inside lining. It's totally up to you!

Edited by Hi Im Joe

Sharp tote Joe! Bet Gramma ends up selling a few for you.

Just a suggestion, you might try skiving the seam allowance so it will lay a bit flatter.

A very smart looking tote. I'm sure you grandma really appreciated the gift!

Love the mystery braid handle too.

Sharp tote Joe! Bet Gramma ends up selling a few for you.

Just a suggestion, you might try skiving the seam allowance so it will lay a bit flatter.

Thank you very much! Yeah, I wouldn't mind selling a few...hahahaha. Literally after I got done sewing up the bag I thought to myself...man I should have skived that leather down some. Oh well lesson learned.

A very smart looking tote. I'm sure you grandma really appreciated the gift!

Love the mystery braid handle too.

Thank you very much!