Sign in to follow this  
kc8290

Burnished Belt Edges Are Fraying

Hello All. I'm fairly new at leather working. Lately I've tried to make several belts and I am having problems with the burnished edges fraying shortly after I complete the belt. When I complete the burnishing the edges are round, smooth and shinny but after a little use the edges begin to fray especially around the buckle. I don't know if this is normal, or if it is the quality of the leather or my process. Or all of the above.

The method I'm using is; 1) Bevel edge with #3 edger. 2) Gum Tragacanth ,3) Burnish with a burnisher I made. 4? Then Edge Kote. ). I cut the belt width about 1/8" less than the buckle width to minimize the belt rubbing again the buckle. I'm using 8-10 oz skirting leather, utility grade from Wicket and Craig.

I also have tried Bob Park's great process and had the same result. Looks great after completion but does not last. I only tried this method once.

The burnisher is a shaft arbor with leather washers mounted on a motor (see pic) post-15617-039333300 1286989463_thumb.jp

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be helpful.

Thank you.

Ken

Hello All. I'm fairly new at leather working. Lately I've tried to make several belts and I am having problems with the burnished edges fraying shortly after I complete the belt. When I complete the burnishing the edges are round, smooth and shinny but after a little use the edges begin to fray especially around the buckle. I don't know if this is normal, or if it is the quality of the leather or my process. Or all of the above.

The method I'm using is; 1) Bevel edge with #3 edger. 2) Gum Tragacanth ,3) Burnish with a burnisher I made. 4? Then Edge Kote. ). I cut the belt width about 1/8" less than the buckle width to minimize the belt rubbing again the buckle. I'm using 8-10 oz skirting leather, utility grade from Wicket and Craig.

I also have tried Bob Park's great process and had the same result. Looks great after completion but does not last. I only tried this method once.

The burnisher is a shaft arbor with leather washers mounted on a motor (see pic) post-15617-039333300 1286989463_thumb.jp

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be helpful.

Thank you.

Ken

I believe you may be doing damage to the edges with the leather burnisher. I am sure someone with a lot more first hand experience than I will chime in.

ferg

Thanks Freg. Yes, perhaps that is it. The motor is 1725 RPM. The burnisher is groved 1/4". I do not put a lot of pressure on it with the leather but than again I'm not sure how much pressure I should be using. It is not burning the edge.

Thanks Freg. Yes, perhaps that is it. The motor is 1725 RPM. The burnisher is groved 1/4". I do not put a lot of pressure on it with the leather but than again I'm not sure how much pressure I should be using. It is not burning the edge.

You have too much speed on the spindle. With your set-up you cannot change that. I used motor, pulley to pulley with burnishing mechanism on a shaft. That way you can slow that motor speed by changing pulley diameter.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

Even though you may not be burning the leather, you may be burning the gum right off. I can't tell you about speeds and pressure, you have to practic and find what works best for you. Some days I can get a beautiful edge and other days it seems like I can't get squat. I use gum on the leather and parafin on my finishing wheel.

I had a Master saddler from England in the shop Fri. and she uses something called glue beads that dissolves in water and just rubs it with a cloth. We have an English shoemaker in the shop and he says they use gum dragon, which I believe is the same thing since they both said it smells like vomit, but works incredibly.

Good luck,

Kevin

i googled gum dragon and that is just another name for gum tragacanth and it is water soluble so they probably get it as it comes direct from the plant and then mix it themselves whereas the stuff we get is premixed.

I'm no expert by any means but in my experience I have found that when burnishing with a machine of any sort sometimes less is more. I use a burnisher I made for my Dremel on the lowest speed that it will go for the initial burnish. I go over the piece very lightly and only for a very short period of time just to get it started. I then use a piece of heavy cloth with some saddle soap to finish by hand. My edges have been holding up pretty well so far.

I don't really have a direct answer, but as to the issue of burnisher speed: I have a fantastic edge burnisher (it works great by the way) and it runs at 1725 rpm, just like yours. The burnisher is mounted directly to the motor shaft. Your set-up is very similar to it except that it uses a felt like material and a secret blend of wax.

Aaron

In the past few days I have tried using even less pressure. Also in the past I was passing the belt back and forth on the burnisher. It was suggested to pass the belt through going in one direction only. Also I’m letting the gum sit for about five to ten minutes. The combination of these three items seem to have improved the strength of the burnish. Although more testing is needed.

I read in several previous posts that 1725 RPM motor was being used successfully by several members. So thanks for confirming Aaron that the Fantasic Edge Burnisher (FEB) uses a 1725 motor speed. When I look at the FEB video it looks like the applied pressure is more than I use plus the belt is moved back and forth. So I remain a little confused.

Perhaps I just need more practice.

I REALLY do appreciate all of your feedback.

Thanks